Covid related cancellation 1 hr before check in

Toni222
Level 2
Langley City, Canada

Covid related cancellation 1 hr before check in

Hi, 

We have just had our first Covid related cancellation. There was a government order stating no out of state travel without a 2 week quarantine, so our guest messaged me to cancel at 2 pm, when our check in is 3pm. They are coming from 2 states away so I’m a little confused as to why they waited so long to notify me they wanted to cancel. I will be unable to fill their 7 night reservation on this short notice. Our cancellation policy is strict, and I know I don’t have to refund any, but I want to work with the guest and I do understand their disappointment. The guest is asking for us to consider a (partial) refund or allow them to move their dates until spring. 
What is the best compromise for those that are familiar with this? 
Thank you for anyone able to weigh in. 

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Toni222 

The risk of facing travel restrictions due to COVID  is on the guest. If you voluntary are willing to provide some refund, it should be max. 50% for a strict cancellation policy. If the dates going to be changed , you as a host should perform the change and include some compensation on the price (price can be manually changed in the change form).

Toni222
Level 2
Langley City, Canada

@Emiel1 

Thank you, I appreciate you replying. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Toni222,

The information that @Emiel1 gave you about hosts changing the date is incorrect.  First, a check-in date cannot be changed after the booking period has started.  Secondly, if the host were to change the date, the reservation will get a new cancellation window based upon the date of the change.  Thus allowing the guest an opportunity to cancel, and get a full refund minus the service fee.  Instead, in these situations the guest should submit a date change request, and the host can accept or decline it.  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1504/how-does-it-work-if-a-guest-wants-to-change-their-reservati...

Since the reservation has already started, the dates cannot be changed.  I would not offer a refund, but would give the guest the opportunity to book in the future off platform.  If you do that, inform the guest that they will have to provide a refundable damages deposit.

Thank you very much for this reply @Debra300