Covid screening upon arrival/departure

Covid screening upon arrival/departure

Hello fellow hosts! Would love for you to share your best practices around arrival and departure of your guests in relation to Covid. Our guests stay in a separate cottage on our land so no direct contact until they leave the space. I'm concerned about privacy issues (what can or can't be asked of someone). Right now, we've only had 1 month stays with at least one night empty between rentals. So it's been less of an issue but we're opening to three night minimums (ie. more exposure, more people flying in to see loved ones, etc) 

I'm thinking upon arrival or just prior to arrival...

• In the last two weeks, have you or anyone you are close to been diagnosed with Covid or potentially exposed to Covid?
  • Have you been diagnosed with, or suspect that you have contracted, COVID-19?

Upon departure...

Any changes in health with anyone in your party during your stay that might be Covid?

Additionally, I'm asking them to leave a few doors open and pile the soiled linens on the floor. 

Looking forward to your thoughts. 

6 Replies 6
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Nic-And-Kristen0 You could ask those questions but I don't think it is going to make any difference. For instance, if I was a sensible adult and honestly answered yes to your questions I would have already canceled my trip or reached out to you. If not, I would answer no, regardless, and proceed with my vacation.  

I think the best thing to do would be to leave at least 48 hours between booking and not enter the space right away (wait until the next day.) Ask the guest to take their trash out and leave the windows open if you can do so in your area without the place freezing. 

Doesn't your state have any restrictions/guidelines to follow for any out-of-state travelers?

Thanks for the response. Currently, it's not necessary to quarantine upon arrival just requested to monitor for symptoms, keep distance, wear masks in public, etc. We're leaning toward extending to two nights between instead of one. Also, with the new cleaning protocol it will take us many more hours to clean! Thanks again. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Nic-And-Kristen0  We initially left a covid check-list for the guest to fill out and sign, attesting that they weren't positive/no symptoms, etc.  but 75% didn't fill it out, so we are focused on preventative measures...no longer greeting guests, putting on masks to check and then do cleaning, waiting 24 or 48 hours before cleaning, opening the windows as soon as the guest departs, sanitizing high touch surfaces right after the guest leaves and before cleaning..that type of stuff.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

As people can be entirely asymptomatic and still infected and capable of infecting others, asking for these self-assessments doesn't appear to me to have much value, anyway. 

Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

I believe in being proactive and this is all new territory and there is SOME guidance from Airbnb. However after taking various preventative steps what steps do you execute when a guest is positive with COVID while in your unit? Heres my just recent situation:

I’m putting this out there for other host thoughts (since its been 28 hrs & I haven’t had guidance call back from Airbnb yet). There is a lot of CDC cleaning protocol on AIRBNB site, however I cannot find an AIRBNB link to WHAT DOES A HOST DO IF A GUEST HAS COVID WHILE ON AN AIRBNB STAY? Maybe I overlooking something!A guest tested positive for COVID while in my separate, yet attached to my house, apartment. Thankfully I was notified a couple of days into their stay after 1 of them was tested (they are return lovely guests). This is what I did upon their 5th day (understandably cutting short their booking)

when they left: I ask all guests to put bedding and towels into a laundry basket & put it outside in the private patio (temps at night  are freezing) the exiting guests did that. I also ask that guests leave windows open & turn off heater, which they did.I blocked out the days that were available until next weeks guests arrive. Blocking so that no one could “instant book” and I would be put in the position of cancelling them. I’ll be entering the apartment, as I normally do with mask & gloves and following CDC recommended cleaning which I appreciate Airbnb encouraging us to follow.  One of the questions I’m waiting for guidance from Airbnb is when is it recommended that I clean the apartment knowing that a guest has COVID? (Not how I clean as I follow CDC recs). What are host impacts if a guest decides to quarantine in place at an Airbnb property (10-14 days)? (Mine did not, but I was prepared to offer them an extended stay). Lost income scenarios take different forms.Are there any other thoughts out there?My concerns are for my responsibilities and best practices as a host. FYI- I did get a Covid test myself the morning after they informed me.

I forget to update. Its been 6 days since I heard from Airbnb. Today I got a BOT response from airbnb saying "you may be feeling under the weather about the situation". NOPE that was not my question nor situation. The link they sent to The Who was informative if I had been caring for someone who was diagnosed with COVID. What it failed to answer is What does a host do when a guests tests positive while in the unit?