Covid vaccination passports in nz

Covid vaccination passports in nz

Hi 

just wondering if hosts in New Zealand can ask for vaccination passports? 
Our accommodation is on our property. We are both vaxxed as my husband is immunocompromised. We would prefer to have vaccinated guests due to this but are we able to ask for them? 
many thanks in advance. 
moragh 

2 Replies 2
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Andrew-And-Moragh0  from up north in Auckland!

If you look online on the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, Human Rights Office and NZ Law Society's websites you will find some very helpful information and crossing of sensitive boundaries.

I'm not sure what your background is however most people are fairly sensitive about been asked personal questions about Private health information in general terms for obvious reasons.

It's a little like asking a random stranger how much they get paid.

All the best from Auckland and no we don't have people dying in the streets up here and life goes on as normal.

ADHB has always said how they are overwhelmed and if you recall around 2 years ago with White Island they were at capacity and surgery was also delayed for similar reasons, together with patients been flown around to different regions to get needed treatment.

A few factors also to consider.

Take care and you have a cool listing - love our animals

Patric-And-Sarah0
Level 1
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi @Andrew-And-Moragh0 , I've spent a bit of time figuring out the rules and implications of this, because we wanted to do the same thing.

My understanding is that AirBnB hosts can ask ask for vaccine passes, just like other types of accommodation providers. You can do this at all 3 traffic light settings

There's good information here (https://covid19.govt.nz/traffic-lights/life-at-red/travel-and-accommodation-at-red/accommodation-at-..., or see the page for accommodation at Orange) and here (https://www.business.govt.nz/covid-19/covid-19-protection-framework/accommodation-services/)

However, if you allow instant bookings but you want to cancel a booking because someone fails to prove they're fully vaccinated, it WILL affect your hosting stats and rankings.

That's because AirBnB currently doesn't consider it to be a legitimate reason for a host to cancel a guest's booking, even if you clearly state in your House Rules and listing details.

So we've turned instant booking off, and require guests to send us a copy of their vaccine passes if we accept their booking (unfortunately you can't do this before you accept a booking, because you can't share links and images via their messaging system before then).

Frankly, it's a bit of a pain in the proverbial, 'cause it's taking more time and effort.

I prefer Bookabach's approach: they've told us we can cancel instant bookings if guests don't provide proof of vaccination.

Hope this helps. Sing out if you have any more questions.

Regards Patric