Credit Card Charged, But Confirmation Failed

Josh230
Level 1
Lubbock, TX

Credit Card Charged, But Confirmation Failed

So we are booking a stay for less than a week from now. Host invited me, I accepted, and I agreed to Terms and submitted payment.

I then got an error message, "Oops, we're unable to complete this booking. Unfortunately, a server error prevented your request from being completed. Airbnb may be undergoing maintenance or your connection may have timed out. Please try again."

I checked my debt card and there was a charge on there, for nearly $400 (amount I agreed to). I then got an email from Airbnb then this reservation # was being refunded and I would have funds in 15 days. The host said that my reservation number is marked as "Failed confirmation."

I know there is probably nothing that can be done. Now I am afraid to book again because I don't want $800 tied up for a trip starting in a short time frame. Called support and they said they would call me back in 15 minutes; 35 minutes later and nothing. 

Should I be worried?

3 Replies 3
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Josh230  You have two options here. Contact the host and share your story. I have blocked dates for people who have had this happen to give them time to square it away with AirBnB. Usually you get the refund in 5-7 business days. You can also call your credit card provider and explain. They can do a charge back ASAP and then you are clear to book again without a tie up of your funds, but make sure they note you will be booking again, so they don't pause the payment for fraud. 

Irfaan0
Level 1
Nairobi, KE

I was making a booking today and when processing my credit card, I get this error message, "Unfortunately, a server error prevented your request from being completed. AirBnb maybe undergoing maintenance or your connection may have timed out. Please try again".

I have been charged $112 already.

Please assist as I still need to make bookings..

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Irfaan0 

This is a community of hosts and guests so we can't help with this you will need to call Airbnb. All the ways of contacting them are listed in the Contact Airbnb post at the top of this form .