Credit Card Fraudulently Charged on AirBNB by AirBNB

Thanadon0
Level 2
Thailand

Credit Card Fraudulently Charged on AirBNB by AirBNB

My credit card was fraudulently charged on Airbnb, it was credited back right away the next day. I didn't notice this until my bank statement came in. The problem is that I lost out around $14 on currency conversion as I don't live in the US and my card was charged in dollars. I did not even log into my account for more than 7 months.

I contacted AirBnb regarding to the issue, my case manager was Sonyah.

I asked them why my card was fraudulently charged and requested the $14 loss I incurred. Sonyah's answer was that, they credit me back the amount that was charged, and they can't tell me anything regarding to why my card was used without approval. She said I have to take up the loss with my bank on my own which is ridiculous. 

Sonyah said its under their privacy agreement that they can't tell me anything. They will only release information to law enforcment officers or goverment agency with subpeona only. At first she tried to put the blame that its my friend or family that could have used my card. Then she said that since its credited back, my currency exchange loss may be due to bank charges which I need to take up with my bank.

AirBnb and Sonyah pretty much threw their own customer under the bus. They just lost a very valuable customer. I spend at least 30 days in hotels per year. 

If anyone has more tips, please do share. For those out there, never save your credit card on Airbnb website or app. I did a quick search on google, this issue happens often.

53 Replies 53
Karen1821
Level 2
Stellenbosch, South Africa

AirB&B also asked me to cancel my dispute with the bank and that they will refund me... but sorry for them the bank saw their recurrent attempts at deducting further amounts . All these stories sounds very much the same , so yes the question is if AirB&B is part of this bigger fraud. 

Karen1821
Level 2
Stellenbosch, South Africa

I’ve had almost the exact same experience and same poor response with same terminology used by AirB&B. Plus once I blocked my card the bank informed me that they made further attempts of amounts first higher than the fraudulent transaction then lower to see if it’ll go through. No explanation from AirB&B why this fraud is occurring from their side. Also my bank informed me they busy with quite a few of clients with the same AirB&B fraudulent transactions. My banks fraud department are investigating them now. I will report them to the authorities due to the ongoing poor response as to why and how this happened . I will never use them again, surely not with my ccard. 

Melissa964
Level 2
East London, South Africa

Hi Karen - are you by any chance with FNB - I had the same situation on Tuesday evening, cancelled credit card etc... and got in touch with Airbnb who refunded me the next day less about R180.00 - they tell me that they deducted $196 and refunded $196 - no way that the exchange rate changed to such and extent so cant understand it.  The oddest thing is the same thing happened to a friend of mine, same day, similar amount same bank - FNB.    Did you get a refund from Airbnb and was it less than what was taken from you?  Im interested to know.  When I ask Airbnb for an explanation I just get a copy and paste response that makes no sense.

Fatimah4
Level 1
Johannesburg, South Africa

Looks like this is happening to a few of us and same situation. I have had 3 notifications that an amount was declined on my account (because the card is blocked) which means they are still attempting to use the details. Airbnb refuses to provide details. I however was refunded got slightly more than the amount taken off. 

Fatimah4
Level 1
Johannesburg, South Africa

I had a transaction of over $300 go off my card from airbnb. I immediately go to report it as fraud on my baking app and the same as a previous person, there is no transaction history in my account but the amount has been taken. Strange. I immediately call my bank and they cancel my card and refunded me within a few days. Bank says it looks like the fraud came through the website. However when i notified airbnb they pretty much said i should not dispute it with my bank and they will take it up (almost as if they do not want it to be investigated). They said they had the account associated with the unauthorised amount but they cant provide any detail further.  Whats concerning is that I have never ever had credit card fraud. Booked on airbnb 1 month ago and this.  In response to where the fraud originated they refuse to answer which clearly states they know it is through their website and peoples details are compromised but cannot contain it. 

Annie750
Level 1
Selangor, Malaysia

It's my 1st time using Airbnb and the same case happened. I received text from my bank on last night, that Euro1392.34 was charged to my card at Airbnb and given with a reference number. I contacted my bank immediately to report the fraud & they blocked the credit card for me. I was told that the transaction has been approved but yet to post to my ac. They will do further investigation on this matter. I haven't report fraud to Airbnb, will do so soon.

I also suffer from the exact same issue.
Today I received an sms from my bank, telling from my card was just spent 1950 HKD internationally.
I called my bank immediately and told that i did not make the transaction.
My bank canceled my card immediately.
I will learn the details of the transaction tomorrow.

The sms is as follows.
airbnb @ hmadsjjh89 1937.05 HKD

As far as I understand, my card was used by airbnb in Hong Kong. HKD is hong kong dollars currency code.
I have never been in Hong Kong.

Obviously my card was copied or my card info was stolen.
This kind of fraud is commonly made in touristic places, like hotels or restaurants.
I had been in several places in Europe this year. Italy, France, Holland and Germany.
I strongly suspect that my card info was copied in Rome.
Because I only used my credit card for paying the hotel bill in Rome and Paris. All other payments, like restaurants and cafes I made by cash.

So were you also in Italy? Where did you use your card? Especially in touristic hotels?
I strongly suspect that my card was copied in the hotel that I stayed in Rome.
This kind of fraud is made in vast numbers, in hotels. And then the fraudelent personnel wholesale sell these card numbers to other crime organizations.

Nica2
Level 1
Phuket, TH

Same thing happened to me, was charged 2000 Yuan (Chinese currency). and reported to airbnb and my bank.

Once you report this to Airbnb they refund the amount however they won't have the same amount as charged probably because of exchange rates and bank charges but this is unacceptable. They would even tell you to cancel all your disputes with your bank and they willingly refund 100%. It seems like a scam to me. I would suggest you report to your card and they handle it themselves.

Someone also recently used my credit card details to book AirBnB accommodation to the tune of $1900 AUD. When I initially reported this to AirBnB, I received the standard response that I had likely given my credit card details to friends or family. They gave me no explanation about how they had reached this conclusion, which made me think that they had made no effort to investigate properly. I responded by vehemently rejecting such as insinuation, and eventually contacted the CEO. Much to my pleasant surprise, AirBnB provided a full refund within 48 hours. So it worth being persistent, assertive and polite.

Hi Jonathan,

the SAME THING has happened to me. My account has an unauthorised debit and Airbnb refuse to refund because they believe a family member or friend has used my card. I’m absolutely furious at this assumption which is totally false.

tgeg also won’t provide me with any details of the transaction unless I provide a subpoena- again ludicrous.

Now I’m wondering, how can I write to the CEO? I want this matter resolved!

Many thanks,

Ania

Kelli220
Level 2
Altona Meadows, Australia

Yup I had the same experience too almost word for word especially that friends and family spiel. Must approach the CEO to get this resolved by the looks

It's also essential that you report the fraud to your CC issuer and to the local police fraud squad.

Same with me, fradulent reservation: AIRBNB 14158005959 GB -CNY784.35 = RM473.84 12Jan2020

Wan-Salman0
Level 2
Kota Kinabalu, MY

Too many frauds happen involving AIRBNB when I google and read the comments. My case was quite a recent occasion: AIRBNB 14158005959 GB -CNY784.35 = RM473.84 12Jan2020. Now I'm losing trust in AIRBNB. NEVER BOOK FROM AIRBNB FROM NOW ON!

Guys, guess what, I just join the club with everyone, I just lost SGD3200 to the same AirBnB 14158005959 account. He made 7 transactions from the 4th Feb 2020 till 17th Feb 2020. But sadly I did not receive any SMS or email regards to this transaction from my Bank. So equally Bank and AirBnB suck in identifying fraudulent transactions. I just realise this today and block my card immediately and made a police report.