Credit Card Fraudulently Charged on AirBNB by AirBNB

Thanadon0
Level 2
Thailand

Credit Card Fraudulently Charged on AirBNB by AirBNB

My credit card was fraudulently charged on Airbnb, it was credited back right away the next day. I didn't notice this until my bank statement came in. The problem is that I lost out around $14 on currency conversion as I don't live in the US and my card was charged in dollars. I did not even log into my account for more than 7 months.

I contacted AirBnb regarding to the issue, my case manager was Sonyah.

I asked them why my card was fraudulently charged and requested the $14 loss I incurred. Sonyah's answer was that, they credit me back the amount that was charged, and they can't tell me anything regarding to why my card was used without approval. She said I have to take up the loss with my bank on my own which is ridiculous. 

Sonyah said its under their privacy agreement that they can't tell me anything. They will only release information to law enforcment officers or goverment agency with subpeona only. At first she tried to put the blame that its my friend or family that could have used my card. Then she said that since its credited back, my currency exchange loss may be due to bank charges which I need to take up with my bank.

AirBnb and Sonyah pretty much threw their own customer under the bus. They just lost a very valuable customer. I spend at least 30 days in hotels per year. 

If anyone has more tips, please do share. For those out there, never save your credit card on Airbnb website or app. I did a quick search on google, this issue happens often.

53 Replies 53
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Thanadon0 According to laws in Europe, a fradulent use of a credit/debit card has to be reported to the bank in the first instance. Here Sonyah was correct. When did it happen? Have you informed your bank or filed a complaint with your bank/card issuer?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Yes I contacted my bank, but abnb refuse to do anything else. Sonyah who is the manager of the case has refuse to respond to my emails as I keep on pressing for a credit of $14 due to currency exchange loss. Care to explain why Sonyah was correct? AirBNB refuse to credit me and provide me with more information, she also falsely tried to accuse me that it could have been my family or friends who used my account. That is a customer service failure right there.

My account history also show that nobody logged into my account for more than 7 months. If people don't know, you can check your account log in history in the "security" section of your account. So the breach must come from Airbnb itself.

My bank said since abnb return the money in full minus the currency exchange loss, I need to bring up the loss with AirBNB, but my bank has already put Airbnb on their watchlist as business with potential fraud / unauthorize charges. I did get a new credit card already.

@Thanadon0

I dont understand what you are saying: if there is fraud on your account then your credit card issuer refunds you the full amount and they have a legal responsibility to sort it out, not you.

Also - banks don't put businesses on a fraud list, that's not how it works. They look for suspicious transactions on your card. 

So I am a bit confused - go back to your card issuer and tell them it was an unauthorised transaction and you want a full refund. Don't get involved with AirBnB

Perhaps if you read what I wrote again you would understand. AirBnB refunded me the full amount a day after my card was charged. I contacted my bank, they said they cannot raise the issue or investigate further. Banks can't investigate further if money is returned, they did confirm its from AirBnB. They can't contact them on my behalf. I did file for a claim with my credit card after AirBnB refuse to credit me, since I have proof it was a fraudulent unauthorize transaction from AirBnB and they refuse to credit me back on the currency exchange loss.

Banks / credit card issuers do put business on a fraud watch list if there are too many claims of fraudulent transaction coming from it. For example Amex calls me to verify if I indeed made the transaction if they find it suspicious. Itunes is on their watch list as thats what many fraudsters use (buying itune credits with stolen cards). This is how they weed out and protect their customers.

You are letting AirBnB off the hook, why can't I find out why my card was fraudulently charged from a business?  Amazing, you are a Level 10 contributor that is trying to protect AirBnB's image. Would expect more from a Level 10 but not surprise as you are a host so you support the platform.

If you search online, my case is not an isolated incident. So no we shouldn't just tell our banks to take care of it. AirBnB needs to be aware and take responsibility.

Jack434
Level 2
Amstelveen, Netherlands

Nonsense of course.

It means that the airbnb validation checks failed. 

My card is connected to my name and address.

it happened to me as well.

the same situation as described .

Kuda1
Level 1
Sandton, South Africa

this has also happened to me and a chap by the name Henry is assisting me and asking if I have a second account and the last time I used airbnb was last year....So go figure....I think people will always have a negative opinion on the complaint until it happens to them but we are too many for this not to be a red flag. The question should be how do we fix the flaw.

David1430
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

i have been charged on my debit card by airbnb internet,

yet i never booked or even stayed at a air bnb address.

contact me air bnb

[Email hidden]

[Phone number hidden]

I just checked my bank statement and the same happened to me in October and November 2018. The bank statement said "Airbnb internet".

please contact me about that airbnb

@Christina613 

Christina - just contact your bank and tell them you don't recognise the transaction. They have a duty to investigate you and 99% of the time will refund you immediately while they investigate.

Zachary40
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

I've also been charged a fraudulent fee from Airbnb, but no record of the transaction on my account. The transaction id on my bank statement reads:

AIRBNB

Please contact me airbnb **

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

@Zachary40 this discussion board is not Airbnb, so for help with this you need to contact Airbnb customer support directly.

(This discussion board is just a place for guests and hosts to chat.)

Same here. Twice within 10 days just this month. I contacted my credit card and reported fraudulent activity.

Crazy - I was charged nearly $480 and I got the same runaround from AirBNB....I'm actually on hold right now with my bank to report this.  AirBNB is terrible - no help whatsoever, and they hide behind this bullcrap privacy policy!  Someone clearly is doing somehting illegal, yet it's private!!

@James0

Let your bank deal with it - they have fraud teams...and can see transaction details that AirBnB can't see.