Credit card changed after cancelling reservation; having difficulty getting refund

Dave64
Level 1
St. Louis, MO

Credit card changed after cancelling reservation; having difficulty getting refund

I recently had to cancel a trip, roughly 7-8 days out from my planned arrival. The host had a moderate cancellation policy, and I was eligible for a full refund (minus processing charges) since I canceled more than 5 days before the start of my trip.

The problem is that the credit card I used to make the reservation is no longer active. It looks like AirBNB tried to process a refund to that card before I was able to update my account information. The refund payment is listed in my AirBNB traveler account, but is not showing up in my bank account (in the newly listed credit card account). 

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

15 Replies 15
Nicki5
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Your bank ( credit card) should send you the refund in a check directly ( snail mail)but you may need to call them to ask for this or it could take forever.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hand the problem to your credit card company - they are legally obliged to sort it out for you. 

Angela416
Level 1
Bankstown, Australia

How did this get sorted? I've now found myself in the same position.

Loui0
Level 1
Karrakatta, Australia

Did you end up sorting this out? I'm in the same boat.

Michelle456
Level 1
Canmore, Canada

similar situation. I received an email from Airbnb that my host cancelled my reservation and that I could find a different place w/ the credit or get a refund. We found a different place but it was cheaper so the Airbnb email said "difference will be refunded to credit card. It happened to be the same week that our card was changed. Nothing showing up and no reply from Air BnB emails etc. Very frustrating. What are the Ext steps!

Hi Michelle,

Have you heard anything positive back from Airbnb yet?

Me an my partner are in a similar situation. Our host cancelled on us but since booking we had changed our bank so the refund did not go through. We have contacted Airbnb in relation to this as advised by our bank. So far all that we have been told is that the issue has been marked as urgent and will go to the top of their priorities. This all began a week ago. 

Spencer-And-Becky0
Level 1
Washington, DC

Same boat! Has anyone tried to call them? We're doing that today.

Rudy20
Level 1
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Has anyone been able to know what AirBnB does in this case? From the thread it seems that this issue hasnt been resolved.

Ryan221
Level 1
South Yarra, Australia

I just had this same issue and confirmed with my credit card company that money refunded onto my old credit card number will automatically roll over as a credit for my new one. So contact your bank/credit card company and check this is the case. It won't be an AirBNB issue. Hope that helps everyone!

Just called my bank, they said all refund go directly to my account even if I lost my card and got a new one (visa). Only the refund can go thru but no other transactions. So I did ask for the refund and am waiting for it as I wright this message.

Ida45
Level 2
Hacienda Heights, CA

Did anyone end up getting their refund?

Wong14
Level 2
Singapore

Hi guys, I just had the same issue. Dont worries, just contact your credit/debit card company.

For my case, the fund will still refund to my old card and credit to my account(as the card tied to my saving account). The process will takes 5-7 working days. just keep track on your bank account for the refund process.

Santiago319
Level 1
Mendoza, Argentina

I have the same issue but with a debit card. anz said that they cant transfer the money as they wont get it on a canceled debit card. I will have to wait and see? As on the app it shows i got the refund but nothing either Anz central or my bank app.

Tnx!

Hey,,,i know its a while ago...but did this resolve? I've just got the same issue.