Credit card dispute

Credit card dispute

I'm an owner with a strict cancelation policy.  12 hours before a guest was to arrive, they told me they cannot come due to covid (at midnight). Instead of trying g to cancel with airbnb extenuating circumstances and providing evidence, they put in a dispute with their credit card company and the dates on the calendar is still blocked. They made the reservation 6 months ago. 

Is this a loophole? Has anyone experienced this before?

5 Replies 5

@William810 I can 100% verify that the host will not get paid when a guest disputes their charge. Wish it were the case!

@Gina1609 

@LeAnne221Is right. Being that this happened only 12 hours before the stay was to commence, you may still receive the payout, but Airbnb will claw it back. I hope you plan on leaving an accurate review for this bad actor, to warn other hosts, as you will be given the opportunity to do so.

I have that issue and Airbnb isn't paying me... they canceled the reservation and I was given nothing three days out and it was a Christmas reservation.  The guest stated that she found a cheaper unit and wanted to cancel... The was going to be charge 50% so she said in writing that she was going to dispute it with her Credit Card company.  It was all in writing yet they(Airbnb) are saying there is nothing they can do and have no control over it.  So I am out $20,000  and am still trying to get it resolved.  How did your case turn out?

This is 100% a loophole and it is SO frustrating! When a guest disputes their charge, Airbnb cancels the booking, claiming that it is fraudulent. They do not dispute chargebacks, so the guest wins and the only person paying is the host. I am SO incredibly frustrated as this just happened to me and I have been attempting to work with Airbnb for 30 days now! I receive the same copy and pasted information from them over and over again.

To make matters worse, the guest who created the chargeback still has an active account AND is a host! There is literally no recourse. Therefore, any one of us can make a reservation, decide at the last minute we don't want to follow through, create a chargeback, receive a full refund and go on with 5 star reviews to do the same to someone else.

I even put together a huge file that Airbnb could forward to the credit card processor on my behalf. I literally did their work for them and no one would even think about helping me.

It is super frustrating and I am really sorry you're going through this! I am considering small claims or filing arbitration.

Colin583
Level 1
New Brunswick, NJ

Keep in mind Airbnb has been on the downfall for about the last 2 years now.

I am appalled at the 'refund' policy airbnb has. I couldn't even reach my Airbnb due to flooding/hurricane/shutdowns of the city. However, they think I am going to pick up that cost? No way buckaroo. Unbelievable. Hotels would never. If you are going to act like a hotel, act like one. Im reverting back to Hotels now because of how unprofessional these ordeals have been. Am I mad at the host? No. I am mad at airbnb. 

Take the strict cancellation policy and put it somewhere... Airbnb is going downfall real fast.