Crisis Fund by Airbnb Hosts for Airbnb Hosts

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Crisis Fund by Airbnb Hosts for Airbnb Hosts

Hey hosts, as we have all experienced these mass cancellations with no help for hosts, it got me thinking that the we can only count on ourselves as a community. Therefor I thought maybe a fund could be set up to assist hosts in desperate times of need. I don't mean a bad week of hosting, or a bad financial decision by a host like a default on a remodeling loan. I mean like this current situation, one completely out of control.

The funds could be used to pay someone's electric bill or help with the house they might lose or delivery of groceries, etc. This a big idea with a lot of holes but I figured I'd post this to see if anyone had opinions or a desire to go down this rabbit hole. Short term it would be individual donations, long term it maybe a coalition of hosts big enough to express our concerns. I'm not talking about a union but just one united big voice, helping ourselves as hosts.

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Juan63 

I am afraid insurance only works where a few unfortunates are paid out by a small levy across many other people who are not affected.

Sadly the current situation is probably affecting 95% of hosts (100%??) so there would only be claims and no one with any money to provide help.

We will have to rely on Governments who do have the ability to print money although I fear there will be long-term repercussions to the economy. Here in the UK the Government has persuaded mortgage companies to give a 3 month holiday on loan repayments - That at least takes the pressure off some people.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Wouldn't be insurance, it's a GoFundme Account. It's been done before.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Then you could set up a professional body for STR hosts @Juan63 to lobby for host interests.

All small and larger businesses are in the same boat we have already had shops, cafes and restaurants which have gone out of business here. Sadly there is nothing unique about the struggles of us as hosts.

If you are struggling, then lobbying your government to put pressure on mortgage companies to give mortgage breaks would be one of the best ways of helping hosts who have a mortgage. @Juan63 

@Helen3 I am not struggling now or in the near future, but of course I'm not immune to the crisis at some point. The US government is taking a huge steps to provide assistance for housing, federal student loans, etc. I also understand that everyone is suffering at various degrees, but I believe a GoFundme account would be a good first step. What I do know is that hosts cannot be hung to dry after this experience. Airbnb needs to be hands off host's choices and not have the ability to deny our payments or be hands on and protect hosts income during times like this. It's all difficult but there is a better way.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Great to hear your government is providing financial assistance with housing for private landlords. Can you provide a link as I am sure lots of US Airbnb hosts would find this of interest.  @Juan63 

To be honest if I wanted to fund anyone in the current crisis it would be to support our amazing low paid health and care workers who are doing an amazing job and to fund the amazing self-help community schemes we have set up here where neighbours are helping the old and vulnerable with food and medication deliveries, dog walking, social contact etc.

Michelle1358
Level 4
North Carolina, United States

@Juan63 -- have you gotten any traction for this idea from this or other groups? Looking for good news coming out during these dark times!

@Michelle1358  Check out posts that offer solutions vs ones that offer a place to vent. It's seems to me that hosts either want to vent, complain or shame other hosts, not many coming up with solutions for this crisis. I posted this morning a great resource from the Small Business Administration. If you are American you may get relief in the form of a 30 year loan and a super low rate to tie you over for a few months. Guess how comments that post relieved, ZERO except for a shamer who just want to point a finger.