Critique my listing Lee-Ann from Peterborough, Ontario

Critique my listing Lee-Ann from Peterborough, Ontario

Hello, I am new to hosting. I recently listed my property. Any advice will be greatly appriciated. I don't have any booking yet, it's blocked until next week since I have a bit of work and tweaking to do but I want to be availabe for booking.

https://airbnb.com/h/waterfrontserenity

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lee-Ann40  I would suggest that 8 guests in a place with 1 and a  half bathrooms is too many. And North Americans seem to expect a Queen or King bed to be appropriate for 2 people and find a double too small. Your max guest count would be better to cap at 4 or 6. I might turn one of the bedrooms into a home office space.

A bed intended for 2 people needs a bedside table and lamp on both sides of the bed.

You absolutely must remove this wording from your house rules: "We respect party goers, but please follow these ground rules: Loud music, foul language, and any loud noise is strictly forbidden after 11pm"

You need to make parties completely unacceptable, as well as extra guests on the property, including day visitors.

You haven't filled out the section about communication with guests during their stay.

Otherwise your photos are pretty good, except the off-kilter bathroom shot, and I would take at least onee more photo of the bedrooms so guests can get an idea of the layout, if there is a closet, chair, desk, etc.

Your description is good, easy to read the way you have separated the information, and  quite clear.

Thank you. I will take that into considration.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lee-Ann40 

Nice listing !

Some remarks:

- sleeping arrangements shows: all 4 beds are in 1 bedroom !

- you offer promotion discount 20% + non refundable option 10% + weekly discount 10%, so a

lucky guest can have almost 40% discount on a weekly stay.

- you mention in houserules :  "Please sign the waiver form"

Where is the form and what is it ?

- There is no security deposit set (but you mention an "damage deposiit" in the houserules).

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Lee-Ann40 Agree with Sarah and Emiel on all points. 

https://news.airbnb.com/airbnb-announces-global-party-ban/

I’ll add that the security deposit is not actually taken, nor is a hold placed, and Airbnb makes it ridiculously easy for guests to just say ‘nah’ when you try to collect on it. 

Also, know that guests are usually  not aware that we have extended house rules so they don’t get read. Many of your rules, such as septic care and garbage, should be posted in the house. I have some of mine in a welcome book along with other housekeeping notes, and at the bottom of the page is the wifi password. This way guests HAVE to read them. I don’t supply the password anywhere else. Make signs regarding what can and can’t go in the toilets and place them at each bathroom. Post your garbage and recycling rules on the refrigerator, somewhere that every person in the house will see them. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lee-Ann40 I think you need more time between check out and check in. To clean a property this size will be difficult in 3 hours unless you have a big team.

Also to be clear on parties - The fact you allow them in your rules will likely get your property suspended by Airbnb.