Critique my listing

Rebecca1595
Level 2
Brooktondale, NY

Critique my listing

BedroomBedroomI am a new Airbnb host and would love a second set of eyes on my listing.  Constructive criticism welcome!  Thank you so much!  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/53590730

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Rebecca1595 

Nice cottage !

I only like to mention you offer a promotional discount (20%) for first 3 bookings, but be aware it sums up with your weekly discount (10%).

Thank you for the reminder!  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rebecca1595  Super cute eclectic place. Well done. 

Only comments I have are that you seem to have a few items in there that look highly breakable, like those tall glass candle holders. If you won't be upset if they get broken, no big deal, otherwise use something else non-breakable.

And while that runner looks nice across the kitchen island, I don't see its purpose. That's an area where people will be preparing or eating food, so it isn't appropriate to have it there. It will just be removed by the guests and is one more thing to wash.

The clock on the bedside table should probably be moved elsewhere- between the lamp and the clock, there's really no space for guests to put their own things. What can be found on most humans' bedside tables is their phone, their book, their eyeglasses, probably a glass of water, maybe the jewelry they take off before going to sleep. Aside from a lamp, bedside tables should really be left clear for the guest's stuff. 

Use "The space" section to actually describe the layout of the house. 

And while you mention in one lower section that you live on the property, you should also make that clear in your description, near the beginning. You would be surprised how many guests don't bother to actually read through all the info and some might show up and be disgrunted to find that the host lives on the same property. Being an on-site host is good- it will ward off the partiers, and guests tend to be more respectful when there's a personal element to the listing, whether that's a home-share situation, an on-site host, or a meet and greet for an off-site host listing, so you want that info conveyed where it will be seen.

Good luck with your new venture.

Thank you for your thoughtful response Sarah.  I updated the description to include that I live onsite.  I will work on "The Space" description.   I appreciate you letting me know about the runner, alarm clock etc.  

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Rebecca1595 In addition to what Sarah and Emiel have said, I would only suggest that your place is really suited to one or two people, not three. A couch is not a suitable place to sleep. You're likely to get downrated if someone has a crummy sleep on the uncomfortable couch. It's an awkward arrangement all around. Also it makes no sense to want to accomodate a third guest when you don't have an extra guest fee for the third.

Thank you Colleen, this is a great suggestion and I revised my listed to be suited for only 2 people. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Rebecca1595 just a heads up I'm moving this over to the New to Hosting board for more visibility and potentially replies. Thank you 

Thank you Nick!

Stacey58
Level 2
Mill Valley, CA

Super cute place! I would add pics of the parking spaces and the window AC unit. (When I rented Airbnb’s in France, I made sure to actually SEE the AC units before I booked and confirmed with the host before I booked. Your area gets really humid in the summer so that might be a good idea.

I second the fact that many people just don’t read so pictures are helpful. It’s really important to set expectations to the extent possible and it doesn’t hurt to repeat the info when you confirm a booking, send a check-in message, etc. Best of luck!

Thank you Stacey, this is very helpful.  I will take some pictures of the parking spaces and will add some pictures of the AC unit for the summer months. I will also be sure to include extra details with my check-in message.