Curious: What questions do you typically ask an inquiring guest?

Curious: What questions do you typically ask an inquiring guest?

I usually ask a few general questions of an inquiring guest before I accept the reservation.  So far, we have been very lucky and have had wonderful guests.  However, as we approach our second year of hosting, I think it might be best for me to be a little more particular and perhaps get to know my guests a little more before approving them (just being more cautious this year).  

Are there any specific things you like to ask guests in your initial correspondence with them?  

Also, if you use the "Verifiy ID" option, have you found that to be a deterent for guests or helpful?  I'm trying to decide if I should require that (assuming I am understand how it works correctly).  

28 Replies 28
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

A good list of questions to ask prospective guests was developed by @Queenie0.   

Here are some questions you could ask:

(1) What brings you to my area (eg what is your purpose for visiting this area)

(2) What attracted you to my listing?  (this can help clarify for instance if they just wanted to get a cheap or conveniently located place, or they liked something in particular about your house) 

(3) How do you plan to spend your time during your visit? (You may want a guest who isn't going to be at your house 24/7)

(4) What hours of the day do you plant to be at my house? 

(5) What are your waking hours? 

(6) Have you read my house rules and do you have any questions about them?

(7) Have you used Airbnb before? (If they say yes, you can ask them how that went)

(8) Have you stayed in someone else's home before? ( This helps make the point that they are in fact staying at someone's home,not at a hotel, a misunderstanding that some guests have). 

(9) WHere do you currently reside and what is your occupation?

(10) What are the full names and contact info for all those on the reservation? 

I don't use Verified ID, because I have found it creates roadblocks and obstacles to some guests being able to book.  One guest was unable to provide the needed info and couldn't book. Another said it took her 6 hours to book my place, to get verified ID set up and then book.  SHe said she almost gave up, it was so hard for her.  So, I prefer to do my own screening of guests.  However, Verified ID is particularly useful if you rent out a whole apartment/home and won't be there during the guest's stay, as it provides another level of potential security, in case something goes wrong.  

Thank you Deborah,  Those are great questions!  I will be adding them to my intial reponse to inquiries.  Very helpful. 

For me it depends on what information they've provided (directly or indirectly).  Ie, 3 young male guests in town for a party get way more questions than a couple coming for a weekend of tourism.  I have found that people just don't read listings so I can often glean that from their initial note (ie they've sent it to ten people, not to me, so it's nonspecific and doesn't answer questions I place in my ad for people to answer in their enquiry).  I'm not afraid to ask questions but I do try to avoid it looking like an interview /being cold, if you see what I mean.  I like that list of questions and try to get to that kind of information in a conversation, particularly for longer stays or more than two people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB

Hi Deborah, thanks for the tips of security question that you have posted I will add your list of questions to my potential guest.  I am a newbie to hosting and i want to take a precaution.  I just got my first booking request tonight around and it is for the next day check-in.  the guest msg me stating that he will be working in the next suburb to mine.  So i have ask to provide fullname, residential address, date of birth, his profession, contact number, time of flight arrival for security purpose as he has no feedback and is a member since 2013.  Is it odd that people will book one night before arrival?  I hope it will not deter guest from booking with all the question and information i requested.  Would need anyone's input.

This awsome thank you so much! Im renting a bed room in my house and for now Ive been lucky but I noticed only guys being reting it 😕 and I'm not sure how to avaliate them to accept them or not.

Luke189
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

this is brilliant! thanks for your help!

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Amanda5, I require Verified ID with a proper photo.  Past reviews are a plus but not mandatory.  Most of the time the guest tells me why they are visiting here (it's pretty obvious since I live in wine country).  If there are any gaps in their information or my comfort level or I suspect my place might not be the right place for them (ie. mother with children who want to be a the beach...I'm no where near a beach) I'll ask more questions. 

Lauren507
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

How do I request ID verification and photo? Is there a way of doing this on the app or do I simply message them and ask ?

Janet150
Level 1
Carson, WA

I have a question about cancellations. I have a guest who booked so she could save a room but is waiting for a baby. If the baby doesn't come she won't need the room for the day she booked. Does she get charged if she changes the day she wants the room?

Hey,

This is dependant to what you have set your cancellation rules to for the listing.

I've found that when guests first contact a potential host, they are usually straightforward and explain the purpose of their trip. If they don't mention the purpose of their trip to me from the start, I consider it a warning sign. Also, if it's not mentioned by them first, I usually like to ask is this your first time in Asia/Korea/Seoul? 

I always end up declining to host people who

(1) are reluctant to share any information about themselves while they interogate me or send me special requests/requirements they want me to provide during their stay

(2) ask for an additional discount by paying me directly instead of going thru Airbnb or because they really want to stay at my place but they have a tight budget and can't afford it. I know for a fact that my listing price is at the lower end compared to other similar listings so I tell them good luck finding another listing that is better and cheaper than mine and then decline to host these types of people. 

(3) ask for something that directly goes against any of my house rules.

Jeanne121
Level 2
Marquette, MI

This is an entirely different subject but I am so disappointed that on Airbnb you can no longer see the breakdown of cost for renters.  Would you know how could I voice this complaint?

No need to complain, @Jeanne121. Preview your listing and enter dates as if you were booking. The breakdown comes up there. 

If you are looking for a past breakdown, do it through View All Reservations in your Dashboard. Select Print Confirmation.

Is this what you mean?

Jeanne121
Level 2
Marquette, MI

Up until December before we booked, when we enterd dates and searched, we got the breakdown. Nightly rate, cleaning fee, tax, service fee.  Now, before you book there is no breakdown, check it out.