Currency

Rachel340
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

Currency

I live in Germany, am booking a flat in Bulgaria, but am being charged in GBP. It gives me the total in euro, but underneath that it says, "You are paying in GBP. Your total charge is £xxx.xx. The adjusted exchange rate for booking this listing is £1.00 GBP to лв2.0972 BGN." I double checked and all my account information is in Germany and I am currently booking online from Germany. Any ideas why it would charge me in GBP?

Thanks

3 Replies 3
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

One other place you can check, @Rachel340, is your profile. Go to Edit Profile and look at Preferred Currency. What does it say?

Amanda331
Level 1
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom

I have the same issue but it wants me to pay in Australian dollars although I have checked and my preferred currency is GBP

This is a common probem of Airbnb. I encountered the similar one. They just want to earn additional money on currency exchange. That's why they do everything to have the reason to use another currency to apply conversion fee (2%). Here you have their answer to my inquiry: "we cannot change the Airbnb service fees because is how the system works". These reasons may be email domain or country of the bank. They are aware of that so the only solution for us is to popularize the problem and "social preassure".

Traveller from Poland