Current guest may have to leave ...

Answered!
Noel809
Level 2
Blountville, TN

Current guest may have to leave ...

Our current guest wrecked his truck and has no way to commute to work. He says he is going to stay with a co-worker nearer the work site.

He one day short of mid-point of 2-month stay.  What are his options to cancel and get refund and what are MY options to assure revenue flow?

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Noel809 

There are two options for long term cancellation policies (strict and flexible), but the differences seem only to apply to cancellations before the stay begins. Once a stay has started, I believe both policies are the same.

Here you can find the details of the policy: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1361/cancellations-of-longer-stays

Note:

"

• If you cancel after the trip has started, the following 30 nights of the reservation are non-refundable"

So, that means the guest should be charged for the nights they already stayed PLUS the 30 nights following the cancellation. Many guests are not going to be happy about that, but it's the policy they signed up to, so you are within your rights to stick to this.

I would normally offer to refund the guest an additional amount if I can rebook some of the nights, but make sure to explain to them that they need to cancel first for those dates to open up on the calendar and that there is no guarantee of me getting last minute bookings. It's up to you if you want to offer this or not.

However, be aware that if the guest sends a date alteration request to shorten the stay, rather than a cancellation, and they are still 30 nights or more of the reservation left, Airbnb might automatically allow it, which means you'll be left out of pocket.

If there are less than 30 nights before the check out when the guest requests to shortened the stay, then you can approve it or not. 

Your situation is a bit complicated because it's half way through a two month stay. I would really need to know the check in and out dates to be able to tell whether you will be forced to refund or not.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Noel809 

There are two options for long term cancellation policies (strict and flexible), but the differences seem only to apply to cancellations before the stay begins. Once a stay has started, I believe both policies are the same.

Here you can find the details of the policy: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1361/cancellations-of-longer-stays

Note:

"

• If you cancel after the trip has started, the following 30 nights of the reservation are non-refundable"

So, that means the guest should be charged for the nights they already stayed PLUS the 30 nights following the cancellation. Many guests are not going to be happy about that, but it's the policy they signed up to, so you are within your rights to stick to this.

I would normally offer to refund the guest an additional amount if I can rebook some of the nights, but make sure to explain to them that they need to cancel first for those dates to open up on the calendar and that there is no guarantee of me getting last minute bookings. It's up to you if you want to offer this or not.

However, be aware that if the guest sends a date alteration request to shorten the stay, rather than a cancellation, and they are still 30 nights or more of the reservation left, Airbnb might automatically allow it, which means you'll be left out of pocket.

If there are less than 30 nights before the check out when the guest requests to shortened the stay, then you can approve it or not. 

Your situation is a bit complicated because it's half way through a two month stay. I would really need to know the check in and out dates to be able to tell whether you will be forced to refund or not.

Thank you Huma0 - very helpful information. 

The check-in date was July 18 and the check-out date, Sept 18.

He just texted this AM about the wrecked truck situation.

Have texted him, waiting for callback for more details.

THX  again, Bob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Noel809 

Well, that means his check out is more than 30 days away, so technically, he might be able to shorten his stay without having to pay you for any unspent nights. I don't agree with this policy because the host is not really protected at all despite a significant loss of income, but I am afraid that's the way it is.

For you, it would obviously be better if the guest cancelled and the cancellation policy applied. That would mean that you would receive payment for the 30 days following cancellation and then offer to refund him for nights you manage to get rebooked. But, if the guest changes the dates on the reservation, you might not have a choice.

Has the guest asked you yet to refund him?

No.

Waiting to hear from him for more details on HIS situation.  Balancing being compassionate and losing $1000.

Life. A balancing act.

Thx for your input.

Bob