Current guest wants to transfer rest of booking to another guest...

Tina274
Level 2
Dolton, IL

Current guest wants to transfer rest of booking to another guest...

I've searched the community, but nothing specific to this. My current guest wants to transfer the last 2 weeks of his 30 day booking to another guest. The other person has stayed with me before and him staying again is acceptable, but I don't know how this can be done since the first guest is staying with me now. His work assignment ended earlier than anticipated and he's trying to not have to forfeit the 2 weeks. I'm not going to do any type of exchange without Airbnb being involved because for all parties protection I need the replacement guest to be officially booked. Anyone know how to waive a cancellation and open up calendar for new booking? Help Desk is really busy today, this is the first time I've called and haven't gotten an answer.

19 Replies 19
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Tina274   Use the 415 or the 647 number. You are going to have to call airbnb as third party bookings are not allowed and that is what this would become. Maybe the current guests reservation can be shared with the future guest, so both names go on the reservation. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

Thank you Letti, I use the 415 one but I'll try again today.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

It would be a red flag for me I’m afraid, changing the contract.

I know Victoria, for me too usually, but he is a return guest and the new guest would be a return as well neither of which I've had a problem with so I'm considering doing it for him because his job assignment ends earlier than he anticipated. Thank you for your feedback.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Tina274

If push comes to shove, get in touch directly with air bnb explain your situation and see what advice you are given and decide what to do.

Good luck

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

If your current guest wants to leave earlier and transfer the rest of his stay to another guest I assume they know each other. So they can arrange to split the payment between them.

I would just charge the second guest extra cleaning fee as I should prepare the place for him (new towels, sheets, cleaning...) It is ok if he pays you a cleaning fee in cash as Airbnb doesn't charge his service fee on the cleaning fee anyway.

You already know the second guest so you don't have to worry .

@Branka-and-Silvia0  AirBnB charges services fees on the cleaning fee to both guests and  hosts. 

Host service fees

The host service fee for homes is generally 3%, but may be higher for hosts in Italy or hosts who have a Super Strict cancellation policy. This fee is calculated from the booking subtotal (the nightly rate plus cleaning fee and additional guest fee, if applicable, but excluding Airbnb fees and taxes) and is automatically deducted from the payout to the host.

Guest service fees

The guest service fee for homes ranges between 0% and 20% of the booking subtotal (the nightly rate plus cleaning fee and additional guest fee, if applicable, but excluding Airbnb fees and taxes) and is calculated using a variety of factors—these include the reservation subtotal, the length of the stay, and characteristics of the listing. In general, the service fee gets lower as the reservation cost gets higher. Guests see this fee on the checkout page before they book a reservation.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1857/what-is-the-airbnb-service-fee

Tnx @Letti0 good to know, I thought it doesn't  .  What about "send & receive money" in resolution center? They don't charge service fee on that, right?

@Branka-and-Silvia0  No they don't which really still surprises me ;D 

Thanks so much Letti on the info about the service fees!! Something I hadn't considered.

Thank you Branka & Silvia. Although I know them both, I still need for the reservation to be booked under their respective profiles, for protection just in case something happened. The guests know each other through work. They probably would've arranged the payments to each other on their own if I hadn't wanted the booking to be under each person. I hadn't thought of that additional cleaning fee so thank you so much for that! 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Letti0me too 😄

So it doesn't metter if she collects additional cleaning fee in cash or through resolution center.

Tina274
Level 2
Dolton, IL

I really appreciate everyone for responding!! I've never asked a question of the community before and I'm so glad for the quick and informative responses! The problem now is I've reached out to the second guest to confirm he will be booking the latter two weeks of the other guest's reservation, he hasn't responded. So if I go through all these changes to waive my cancellation policy and allow Airbnb to refund the first guest, except for fees of course, the 2nd guest may not even book! I have to make my decision soon. I'm thinking I won't approve a refund for the full latter two weeks but only partial. This way the first guest will receive some monies, although I'm well in my right to not waive the moderate cancellation policy at all, and I will have some money if the second guest doesn't book. What do you guys think?

@Tina274  How about tell guest #1 that you are trying to get in touch with guest #2, but you haven't had any response. Stick to your cancellation policy, but tell guest #1 that you will gladly refund him if guest #2 does book, or if you can otherwise rebook the dates, but if not, you can't just be out the $.