Currently in the middle of stay but host can no longer accommodate

Sue-Zanne0
Level 1
Waterloo, Canada

Currently in the middle of stay but host can no longer accommodate

I am in the middle of the stay now. My host says that I have to move out by 1st of March due to family issues. The reservation is long term cancellation. I noticed that if I alter the reservation dates, I won't get a full refund. What should I do?

6 Replies 6
Alexandros9
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Whatever you do, don't cancel. Your host needs to be the one to cancel.

Do you need alternative accommodations? Is your host working with you on this issue? The host has the ability to send you money once the reservation is complete, I'm not sure if it's available if it's cancelled. I think this might be worthy of a phone call to Airbnb. It might make the process easier for you, especially if you need to find alternative accommodations. 

Yes. I need alternative accomodations. She just told me that I have to move out and apologized for that. She didn't discuss with me anything about cancellations. I will make a phone call to Airbnb. Thank you so much for replying.

Alexandros9
Level 3

Not a problem. This is definitely a situation that it's best to speak directly with Airbnb. I'm curious, why were you wanting a full refund? I'd imagine you'd get a partial refund, and possibly travel credit to apply toward the new accommodation. 

My apologies. I think I phrased it wrongly. I want a refund for the nights that I won't be staying for. If I cancel the reservation, I won't get refund for all the nights I won't be staying because of the 30 days policy. Its my first time renting on airbnb so I didn't know about travel credits. I will look that up.

Alexandros9
Level 3

Ah, ok. Well, I wouldn't stress! I've been in a similar situation and Airbnb took great care. I apologise that this is your first Airbnb experience! Don't let this be your last.

Also, the travel credits are not an official compensation option. It was just a one-off provided to me based on the circumstance. It doesn't hurt to ask though! 

Good luck! 🙂

Hi Sue,

Ask your host to help with the booking cancellation as she'll have to initiate the process so that you get the refund. Also, make sure to get in touch with the Airbnb customer support and share them your situation. 

Also, ask this specific question to your host politely - "How am I supposed to move out at such a short notice when I've already paid for a long-term stay at your place?"

The question tricks your host to come up with the answer/solution.

Hope this helps.

- Ankur