Customer Service is Incorrect

Maxine33
Level 7
Alexandria, VA

Customer Service is Incorrect

Does anyone know how to reach an advanced or 'level 2' member of the customer service team?  The guy I have been talking with swears that taxes are based off of the the quoted price before discounts which is just flat out wrong. Rather than argue with someone that clearly does not know the answer, I would like to talk with someone with more training.  Is it possible?

In case @Airbnb is reading this, I inquired about the taxes being collected on my house in Charleston, SC.  For stays between 30-90 days, they should not be collecting an accommodation tax for the City of Charleston, only the state of South Carolina.  When I requested assistance, I ended up with a rep that insists that the taxes are correct.  When I explained to him the math did not add up he insisted it was because the taxes are based on the price BEFORE the monthly discount, not the price the guest actually pays.

If someone could point me to someone that could help, I would be grateful.  Thanks 🙂

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Maxine33 

Maybe try Twitter (account: AirbnbHelp)

This is what the help is mentioning:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2328/occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-in-south-...

Seems rather odd taxes are calculated on the listing price before discounts....

But the Airbnb Guest Service Fee can be part of the total used for tax calculation, as the HELP file is mentioning !

That is why this is so frustrating... the Airbnb person is simply wrong.  I even checked with the city and the state to confirm the @Airbnb rep is mistaken.  But rather than respond, he is just ignoring me.  

@Maxine33 par for the course.

Joffre11
Level 2
Staunton, VA

They should collect on the actual amount paid less any taxes collected. They collect the tax percentage on cleaning fees and service fees (in most states).  They should not collect  based on theoretical money that you never get (the base rate). If you offer a discount, they should collect on the discounted amount.

What they are doing is 1) bad math 2) probably illegal (if they keep the money) and 3) definitely exposing them to legal liability.