Cutlery going missing!

Answered!
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Cutlery going missing!

Hi Folks

I've only had 5 hostings as I'm new to airbnb but in that time I've had a spoon and knife go missing from a brand new set inaddition to this two towels have also gone missing, can anybody please advice me how to put an end to this problem as I feel uncomfortable counting them in front of my guests.

I also feel going through the reclaim process for such small items, not withstanding its impossible to buy one knife or spoon is more hassle then its worth.

1 Best Answer
Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

It always seems to be the forks! 🙂  I check our kitchen inventory after each visit and we are now down by three forks, but I haven't blamed the guests or given them a bad review. If I thought it was intentional pilfering, I would, but accidents and oversights can happen. Sometimes I wonder if a fork went down the garbage disposal, was damaged, and/or thrown away with the garbage. Or was someone snacking and took it with them in their car?....hmmm.

Proactively, I've done this now....

I provide disposable picnic supplies so guests won't take dishes and cutlery out of the house. A picnic blanket and ice chest also are available for guests to use and return.

I established a house rule about not taking towels and linens out of the house. In the garage I have a stack of five striped beach towels designated for outside use, which guests can borrow and return. I also have a bucket with disposable blue paper towels and clean, ragged, cut-up old towels they can use for cleaning extra dirty belongings, their car, etc. (got this idea from a hotel).

One of our house rules, "Take care not to cause damages, but if you accidentally do, let us know right away." , seems to work for honest people who make mistakes.

Loss prevention starts with establishing reasonable house rules, keeping an inventory, being observant, and establishing postive guest relations.

Loss coverage starts with establishing a budget to cover minor losses, requiring a security deposit, and maintaining adequate insurance.

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

It is one of those things - you have been unlucky with your guests. Just give them a chilly review without any accusations and a thumbs down.

@Marit-Anne0

Thankyou for your suggestion.

Hi @Cormac0

Sorry to hear about this! Gosh, makes me feel the need to go count my cutlery! 

What about including a detailed list of crockery and cutlery inside the cupboard doors where it will be seen by the guests, so they know you do count the items and that it will be checked, but is perhaps more subtle than counting it in front of guests and may act as a deterrent. 

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

It always seems to be the forks! 🙂  I check our kitchen inventory after each visit and we are now down by three forks, but I haven't blamed the guests or given them a bad review. If I thought it was intentional pilfering, I would, but accidents and oversights can happen. Sometimes I wonder if a fork went down the garbage disposal, was damaged, and/or thrown away with the garbage. Or was someone snacking and took it with them in their car?....hmmm.

Proactively, I've done this now....

I provide disposable picnic supplies so guests won't take dishes and cutlery out of the house. A picnic blanket and ice chest also are available for guests to use and return.

I established a house rule about not taking towels and linens out of the house. In the garage I have a stack of five striped beach towels designated for outside use, which guests can borrow and return. I also have a bucket with disposable blue paper towels and clean, ragged, cut-up old towels they can use for cleaning extra dirty belongings, their car, etc. (got this idea from a hotel).

One of our house rules, "Take care not to cause damages, but if you accidentally do, let us know right away." , seems to work for honest people who make mistakes.

Loss prevention starts with establishing reasonable house rules, keeping an inventory, being observant, and establishing postive guest relations.

Loss coverage starts with establishing a budget to cover minor losses, requiring a security deposit, and maintaining adequate insurance.

Teaspoons. People must eat them! So rather than buy sets now, I buy individual pieces from a chain store or IKEA. That way I can have spares on hand that match. 

I know it is a common issue in Restaurants, most will end up in the trash.

David

Same here....my teaspoons disappears

@Susan7 wrote:

Teaspoons. People must eat them! So rather than buy sets now, I buy individual pieces from a chain store or IKEA. That way I can have spares on hand that match. 

and I have worked my way thru I don´t know haw many boxes of Ikea teaspoons and always have one box at home to repclace the lost ones.  The teaspoons are not expensive and I neverwould charge a guest for lost ones, I just wonder.....WHERE DO THEY GO ???
Deborah70
Level 2
Shawano, WI

There is a function after a guest stays, where you can charge additional charges.  I like the idea of posting a card that tells what is provided.  Then if anything goes missing, a charge can be sent.

Hi Deborah - where is this function to charge for stolen items? Thanks so much! Michaek

@Michael1147

Accusing your guests of stealing is a serious accusation - tread very carefully.  

And please read the other posts on the matter.

Frankin0
Level 1
Washington, DC

Use paper ones.

Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

This is another answer that the level of effort some people put into operations just amazes me. Between each guest I open my silverwear drawer and if I notice that it looks a little thin, I'll go to Walmat and buy another set of four (knife, fork, spoon). I buy the middle quality ones, I think the set of 15 pieces is about $10. Life is too short to repeatedly count/worry about/submit resolution center requests for $0.67 items.

@Scott

Thank you, Scott,

I see you charge 90 euros per night for four people and a 90 euros cleaning charge! while I charge 45 euros per night for four people and a 14 euros cleaning charge for a 55m2 apartment with two separate bedrooms.

Surprisingly the cost of the cutlery in both location is probable similar but the economics of Hosting in both location is completely different and I don’t have the same margins you have.

So, I must find alternative solution as the cost of cutlery replacement has an impact on my net profit, some of the other Hosts gave very good and worthwhile suggestions as they are probably under similar cost constraints as me.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It's part of hosting that items get damaged by accident, a spoon goes missing etc. Put aside a small amount from each booking to cover ongoing maintenance like this. The suggestttgat you start giving g guests chilly reviews because you 'suspect' a guest has 'stolen' a tea sooon will quickly backfire on you.