DISCRIMINATION ~Restricting my STR to out of town guests ONLY (no Locals)……

DISCRIMINATION ~Restricting my STR to out of town guests ONLY (no Locals)……

I have researched AirBnBs discrimination policies, and I can’t find a clear answer, so I thought I would try here.

Full disclosure…… I have had several vacation rentals in both Utah and Nevada for well over 10 years, hosting with competitors of AirBnB.
Nothing against AirBnB, but these ‘’smalller’’ sites kept my properties busy, and my current site is shared on AirBnB, VRBO, etc.

I’m considering leaving my current hosting site, (name won’t be mentioned for now) as they refuse to allow me to ‘’discriminate’’ against potential ‘’guests’’. Before you get your boxers, panties, etc all ruffled, hear me out……

I have a licensed STR in Las Vegas. My current hosting site refuses to allow me to exclude locals from renting my home. They refuse to edit my listing stating that people currently living in Las Vegas or that have a (702) or (775) area code may not rent my home. Anyone that’s paying attention, understands that the majority of parties, etc that occur (at least in Vegas), are due to local guests. I get it that sometimes local guests are having family in town, and may not have large enough homes to accommodate them, etc, etc. My answer to that, is they should simply have the out of town family book the home on their own, or choose a different home.

Having explained my situation, I’m curious if other hosts are faced with this same type of issue, and how you’ve responded to it ?

As a good portion of my guests come through AirBnB, I’m considering using them exclusively, but NOT if I am forced to put my property, and my STR License (which are all but impossible to get) at risk.

Thank You in advance for any info/help.

Doug

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Doug859 

You can't block locals to book on Airbnb either

@Doug859 

I expect that you will find that you can be reported for discrimination for imaginary reasons and that this may result in peremptory delisting.

I recommend hedging your bets and continuing to enforce your own policies in order to protect yourself.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I saw a listing in the Hamptons that said prominently "only guests from outside a 75-mile radius."  But you can't do it in the settings @Doug859 

I probably don't need to tell you all this, but there are other things you can do to protect your property.  If you use InstantBook, check all the requirements so that anyone without a review or an ID uploaded has to submit a request.  In the pre-booking message they have to read before messaging you, you could require that they put their place of residence in their profiles.  (Not that this will do any good.  I get a lot of guests who don't live where their profile says they live.  They ALWAYS express surprise that this info is wrong.)

If possible, set a 2- or 3-night minimum.  Don't show pictures that scream party.  If you want to attract families, show the family-friendly things, even baby equipment like high chairs, that will be a buzzkill to partiers.  

All you can do is try, right?  🙂

@Doug859  and in addition to what @Ann72  said, you can casually mention in your listing's description how your first neighbour is a chef of police and you are a marine officer married to a lawyer and you happen to live just across the street with your 2 Dobermans hehe

@Branka-and-Silvia0  😂 😂 😂