Dad's Verification Frustration

Mark524
Level 3
Volcano, HI

Dad's Verification Frustration

Aloha! I'm a super host from Hawaii and have had a very positive experience with Airbnb as both host and guest, but sadly that's not the case for my dad. He's a new user and is having some strange problems. 

He created a new account, uploaded an ID, and thought he was verified. When he made his reservation, he said he had to do it from his phone (not computer), because he had to provide a picture of himself at that moment AND then got a confirmation number emailed to him which he had to put in. Then the host asked him for a picture of both he and my my mom. 

Is this normal? As hosts we've never encountered this with any of our guests, and as guests we've never had to provide a day-of picture. We've always been able to make reserations from our computer.

Thoughts?

9 Replies 9
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Mark524 I think there is a new step to have a verified ID which is to upload a selfie. However, with the host asking for more photo, that is the host's choice and not a standard airbnb rule based on what I know.

@Mark524 - this process has been in place for a while now and it's not that unusual.  For hosts that require a Verified ID before booking, the guests do have to go through a number of hoops to get their profiles vetted.  If your dad doesn't have much of an internet presence, the selfie option is used to validate his uploaded ID.  It's a little short-sighted of Airbnb based in Silicone Valley where technology is king to think that everyone in the heartland has a camera on their desktop, I know, but we're certainly moving in that direction.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1237/how-does-providing-identification-on-airbnb-work

As for the picture the hosts wanted of your parents, we say right in our listing that we need to have a picture where we can identify our guests by sight.  Without knowing what photo he had on his profile, as hosts, we might have asked for the same thing. We are starting to ask that everyone on the reservation, if they have a profile, also be on the reservation so we can see pictures of both guests and provide reviews for both.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/449/how-can-i-add-a-guest-or-business-address-to-my-receipt

Call me frustrated, too.   Yes, I get how it works, but I have to tell you it's extremely frustrating for a non-tech-savvy person to attempt for 2 days to upload a photo of myself to no avail because my laptop's camera doesn't want to transfer the photo's data to the Airbnb website.  I've literally tried for 2 days to complete a reservation for an 11 night stay next February at a total price of $3700 and have been unable to complete the transaction because of the inability to upload my picture.  This would have been my 5th Airbnb stay (all of them extremely favorable both for host and guest), the most recent being this past January, with none of my prior reservations being obstructed by this need for a photo.  Indeed, I have my profile picture on the website and my credit card used to fund reservations has always been confirmed, and I've been more than happy to reconfirm my identity upon arrival at the property by showing my passport or other government ID to the host--as I would expect to do at any reputable hotel.  But this verification process seems to have reached the point of being ridiculous when it's this unfriendly to the average website user, who just happens to be an honest, upstanding individual who honors his commitments and repsects others' property After these painful, fruitless 2 days, I give up trying to make this reservation.  I guess I'll have to stay at the Marriott, where I'll be pleased to profess my identity when I actually appear in person.

Tammy63
Level 1
Kellyville, OK

I just signed up too.  It was a huge pain in the nether regions! I had to jump through so many hoops with the photo, the phone verification, card verification, email verification etc. that I actually got frustrated and tried to back out of the reservation.  The dirty buggers already had my card info, so I calmed down and pushed through it, but it was extremely irritating.  

Watch out, Airbnb.  There are plenty of other reservation sites out there that don't put their customers through the ringer.  You took something that should be easy and made it hard.  That is not a good way to run a business.  If I were a host I would think twice about listing with you, you are literally chasing customers away.

I am a new host and I also find AIRBNB to an exaperating organization, very heavy handed and not truthful, not a good busness plan.

As a host, I have found Airbnb to be the easiest to deal with. The fees are low for the host and the guest, and they process payments for you (unlike booking.com who leaves protecting customer info in the hands of the host).

I had no idea my guests had to jump through any extra hoops, as I have never had to when I was making a reservation at other Airbnb's. But then, I also don't require extra photos (I don't meet most of my guests in person) or government ID, or previous reviews. We were all new sometime, and as long as a credit card is on file, I will get paid!

ps I also found the best way to get in touch with Airbnb is via twitter ... Silicon Valley mentality, I guess!

In defense of the requirement to upload photos as a process of verification and as a host who requires that guests be verfied before booking, please be respectful of the idea that we would like to make sure you are who you say you are in advance of ringing our doorbell.  Hotels have the resources to cover the risk and liability of a scam artist but hosts, who open their doors to you as a welcome gesture of inclusiveness and trust, do not. Staying with a host is typically cheaper than staying at a nearby hotel - if there are any nearby hotels that even exist - and having to do a little bit more for that cost savings is at the request of the host sharing their home with you - not Airbnb demanding things of you unreasonably.  You might find comfort in the fact that if you are being required to provide a verified ID, your host has had to go through the same process.  This should fill you with comfort that the person cleaning your linens, mopping your floors, and being available to you 24/7 during your stay is also who they say they are.  Before we all jump on the "Airbnb sucks" bandwagaon here, let's get to the real problems and see if they can be solved.  

@Charles202 - what error messaging are you getting with your upload?  If this is a settings problem with your laptop, perhaps one of us who is more tech savvy can help you. 

@Tammy63 - as a reminder, the verified ID was at the request of your host - if you do not want to stay with hosts that require this, you can send inquiries in advance to ask. You can also see hosts that do not have verified IDs on their profile and they cannot require it if they don't also have it.  That might make your experience more to your liking.  

@James485 - you've posted in several threads your dissatisfaction with Airbnb. Having only started on the site in May with your first reviews in July, perhaps you need a little more time under your belt to understand how things work. Here is a great thread to help new hosts: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/What-tips-would-you-give-to-a-new-host/m-p/215615/highlight... . Hosting is not for everyone and maybe it's not for you. Your reviews are positive and it appears that things are working out for you in Portland.  However, if you find that the business plan is too flawed to be a part of the sharing community, you may choose to snooze your listing or remove it, here are the instructions for both: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/476/how-do-i-snooze-or-deactivate-my-listing

Hope to see each and every one of you around the forums asking questions and getting advice.  We're all here to make things better for all users and each other.  

@ alice and Jeff. It doesn't take long to spot lies and decite, all I expect is to be delt with truefully and with respect so far AIRBNB has not lived up to these expectations.

@James485 - Why don't you post what your question seems to be so we can assist you.  Start a new topic in the Help thread.  As a host for more than 2-1/2 years, I have found that Airbnb is, while not always transparent, is definitely not deceitful nor has ever treated me without respect.  Let's try to solve whatever issue it is you are having as a brand new host.  My guess is that you may need assistance to get up to speed.