Damage In House Theft Host Guarantee??

Fabs0
Level 4
United States

Damage In House Theft Host Guarantee??

Hi Everyone,

We have been hosting for about a year and have had great experices so far. We have 6 properties on Airbnb and everything has been Great, Until last Sunday we rented one of the homes to a group with no feedback but seemed ok ID verified ect. When we arrived for checkout the following day it seems that we where targeted, by a group of thives it looks like they rented the unit just to gain access. The house was ramsacked several items where stolen damage to lots of the furniture the smell of marijuana is so strong that we need a professional smell removal compay to get it out and the list goes on. It took a few days to finally get someone from Airbnb to get the process going and an adjuster should be here monday. Has anyone had any expirence with the host Guarantees so far it seems that it will be an uphill battle, I will keep everyone posted to how the process goes along.

7 Replies 7
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Fabs0 thank you for your post..I'm sure many hosts will be following the saga.  While the Host Protection Insurance is a significant benefit to hosts, Airbnb also recommends that hosts also have their own insurance as stated in the Terms of Service: 

"Airbnb recommends that Hosts obtain appropriate insurance for their Accommodations. Please review any insurance policy that you may have for your Accommodation carefully, and in particular please make sure that you are familiar with and understand any exclusions to, and any deductibles that may apply for, such insurance policy, including, but not limited to, whether or not your insurance policy will cover the actions or inactions of Guests (and the individuals the Guest invites to the Accommodation, if applicable) while at your Accommodation."

Many hosts believe that Airbnb's Host Protection Insurance is all they need.  Not necessarily so.  I have my own vacation rental insurance that amongst other things, covers me for loss of income if my property is damaged to the extent I cannot accept reservations.  I advise all hosts to talk with an insurance broker to ascertain if they need additional insurance to what Airbnb offers. 

Keep us posted on your progress! And, my sympathies for what you went through.  That's pretty painful!

Talked about but not many examples.

Please keep us updated.

David
Fabs0
Level 4
United States

@Clare0 yes this I think will be one to follow me a 3 fiends all host in Miami area and have never had something like this you can imagine how violated we feel and even though am am scared I will not let this affect our business as a whole but this will make us reflect on the trust that we have put in the host guarantee as the process moves along and we may have to make changes to our business model ie extra insurance ECT

@Fabs0 Yes, this type of thing really does feel like a violation on so many levels.  It is so incomprehensible that other human beings would treat one this way.  At least you are safe and what was damaged / stolen was just material.  I've been robbed several times, not involving my rental, but my home and it took a long time to get over it.  But in time I did. 

Will be watching for your posts. All the Best, Clare

@Fabs0   Sorry for the awful experience, but appreciate your sharing so we are alerted.  Please keep us posted.  We are in the process of shopping for renter's insurance, any suggestions?  We were told that some insurance don't cover Airbnb short term rentals.  Thanks.

Stan and Juris

Thanks for the words of incoragement most policies are cost prohibitive that will cover these types of losses main I have put a lot of trust in the host guarantee let's see if it's real if not we may have to pass these extra cost to the guest in the form of higher rates
Anastasia7
Level 2
Kazan, Russia

Maybe it is time to increase your own security checks.

Perhaps in future to insist on all guests showing passport and government id and you can make a copy or photograph of it.

Take number plate details in advance.

Crooks seem to like to share ideas and this method seems low risk for some of that frame of mind to get access to a house.