Damage from Smoking and Collecting Security Deposit - No response from AirBnB in 7 weeks

Liane0
Level 2
Tamarindo, Costa Rica

Damage from Smoking and Collecting Security Deposit - No response from AirBnB in 7 weeks

Can someone tell me if there is a way to get in touch with a person at AirBnB that can help?  I had guests smoke in my place and burn a hole in the sofa.  I put in a claim and the guest, after initially agreeing to pay for repair, changed his mind.  After a great deal of back and forth, I received a small amount to repair the damage (that is another story), but received assurances over and over that someone for another department would be contact ing me "soon" about the security deposit.  The no smoking policy is clearly on my listing, I tell the guests when they check in, and they sign an agreement - all stating that they will lose their damage deposit if they smoke inside.  I have provided documented proof.  I think that I have done everything, including submitting 4 requests over the 7 weeks for someone to contact me abotut he damage deposit.  Maybe I entered the information incorrectly to begin with by lumping the repair in with the request for the damage deposit, but I have followed up and, as I said, been assured that someone is looking into it and will get back to me.

I am honestly beyond frustrated and feel that I am being ignored in the hopes that I will just drop the matter.  To me, that is just telling the guests that violating house rules is perfectly acceptable.

No one wants to connect me with the "someone" who is supposed to be getting in touch with me when I phone.  Is there anything more that I can do?

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why are you leaving them to come back to you. Call them and contact them via Twitter until you get a reply. Normally whatever settlement they give you is what you get.

Liane0
Level 2
Tamarindo, Costa Rica

I have phoned and emailed several times.  When I have received an email response, it is that someone will get back to me soon.  When I phone, the person cannot answer me - it is not their department - but someone will get back to me soon.  The settlement was for the damage.  The security deposit is a separate issue that I cannot get a response for.

Anne671
Level 2
Colombes, France

Hello,

You shouldn't believe RBNB when they write that their host Garanty is protecting you : it doesn't at all.

My first (and last) guest stole my Boucheron watch in my private bathroom just before her departure and despite police claim, reports, invoice and many documents I have provide, RBNB - after a long long time and many mails - refuse to repay my watch, just arguing my guests denied having stolen it.

Too easy !!

You guests can brake and steal your personal things but RBNB doesn't do anything.

Be careful and ask for garanty deposit from your guests or don't use RBNB.

You are not protected 

Best regards

Anne