Damage on Glass Stovetop

Lynette144
Level 1
Atmore, AL

Damage on Glass Stovetop

I'm relatively new to the Airbnb hosting scene (just over 40 reviews). I've had numerous minor damages (oddly, often related to children -- Sharpie marks on bed sheets, staples in the desktop, etc.) As I was cleaning after a guest this week, I saw where someone had scratched the stovetop. At first glance, I thought that it was just a pot or pan that had scratched it. On closer inspection, it appeared to be a "W", and "A" and another letter. I called my husband over to look at it and asked him what he thought, and he thought it was letters as well. So, it appears to have been done intentionally, hopefully by a child?  However, there would have been something sharp involved in order to do it. We usually just assume some damage will happen within the course of hosting, but is this something you would at least tell the guest about in case they aren't aware that it happened? I'm always torn as to whether or not I should tell guests about minor damage or not. . . MANY send me messages and let me know if they broke a glass or something, and I always tell them not to worry about it. But in this case, it's basically a brand new stove, and it's permanent damage. The guest's name was Wendy, so the "W" isn't quite as far-fetched. If it were my child, I would want to know, but I'm not sure what's the appropriate response.

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lynette144 I probably wouldn't mention it unless I were absolutely positive that it occurred during this stay and that it was deliberate, which it doesn't sound like you are.

Lynette144
Level 1
Atmore, AL

20210616_132520.jpg

 Pretty much positive it occurred this stay because my husband and I do our own cleaning.  It's not the end of the world but feels a lot more ugggh because we can't paint over it or clean it or whatnot...

@Lynette144  These stovetops are very pricey and need special care. I would definitely send the photo to the guest ASAP through Airbnb and tell them how much it will cost to replace. If they're decent people they might pay up. If not, I would mention in the review that an expensive cooktop was ruined. We do our own cleaning too and it's a tough job! But this was obviously deliberate, and any good parent would be appalled to discover their kid did this. Good luck!  M.E. 

@Scott-and-Mary-Ellen0 to me that does not look obviously deliberate (though not saying it couldn't be)-- and the cooktop is not ruined.

We also have a glass cook-top, which we bought with trepidation knowing that scratches would happen, and they have-- but it's still better than dealing with coils and the attendant mess.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lynette144   I am so sorry that this happened, but guests simply do not treat our appliances with the care that we would; I have often said to my housekeeper that I would hate to see the kitchens or homes of some of our guests.  When reviewing this guest, I would not say that the cooktop was ruined, but that it was scarred by a sharp object, which indicates a certain amount of guest carelessness.  

Contact the manufacturer and see if there is some recommended sanding or polishing method to make the scratches less noticeable.  I wish you luck.