Damage to furniture

Debbie337
Level 1
North Bay, Canada

Damage to furniture

Hello, 

i had 2 guests checkout today. They were nice, friendly and everything seemed fine until i went to change the linen when they left.

I noticed the bed looked a little slanted. Upon further inspection one of the legs on the metal bed frame was broken right off. 

The guest never informed me of the damage. I also had 2 other guests coming in tonight. I had to go out and buy a new frame, cost was $69.00 plus Tax. 

Am i able to get this cost back from the guest? If so how do i go about this.

I previously did not have a security deposit, I have since added one. Is it worth it to have this security deposit? Does it hinder bookings? If i have damages is it easier to get reimbursed for any damages with a security depost?

What about reviewing this person, how should i review? 

After 2 years this is my first negative experience 😞 

2 Replies 2

@Debbie337

Use and follow the procedures in the help section....

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request-or-...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/279/what-is-the-airbnb-host-guarantee

The security deposit isnt much use really....Airbnb do not actually take any deposit from the guests....they will merely try and seek an amount from the guests which you detail in your Support case.

You should first message and the guest and ask for their comment ..send photos ..and their comment will give you an idea of whther they are taking it as their fault/responsibility....clearly it cannot have been like that before they arrived or they would have definiately said something to you...

If your guest declines to accept responsibility or does not wish to offer to pay anything then you can take up a Support case...see the procedures and follow correctly.

Any review should be fair,honest and cover all aspects of the visit mot just this incident....and as I suggest...asking for comment in private messages before doing the review.

Melissa961
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Debbie,

I just had the same thing happen, all guests have been exceptional until now. After they checked out the house that is always reviewed as very clean has all brand new beds and bedding. My cleaning service and mother in law  called after they checked out because one of the beds had a completely broken frame where a piece was bent, and then just left on the floor. Upon further inspection (cleaning took 8 hours it was so filthy instead of the normal 3 hours which cost us more out of pocket) there were blood feces and other fluids stained on the sheets needing stain removal, dirty towels and rags left in drawers AND FOLDED AND PUT IN THE LINEN CLOSET - who DOES that??? Thank God we re-fold/wash the towels and noticed or the next guest would have been disgusted with us. Upon further inspection, the boxspring was completely broken. I had a guest checking in the next day and had to remove the room from accessibility. Because they did not take pictures and the next guest was arriving, and I am out of state, I was not able to file the claim right away as I need pictures and more info - as I am trying to get a new bed purchased and delivered before the next guests arrive. I have to drive 6 hours down there to get the new bed frame and foundation which is more than the security deposit of $150. My understanding was with the host guarantee they will cover damage claims and liability (AirBNB) but the guest first has to acknowledge the damage and admit or deny before it goes to the resolution center. I don't have the best answer for you as I am waiting until I get down there to get pictures while replacing the bed. I will let you know what happens after the 14 days and please let me know as well it seems we are in a similar situation. Good Luck!