Damage to my apartment

Answered!

Damage to my apartment

I am new to the airbnb community as a host. Can someone advise me on the process if a guest does any damage to my apartment ? Broke beach chairs or put a big stain in comforter for example: is there a way to charge guest and get reimbursed for any of these problems ? or do we as owners eat the costs of any damages ? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you,karl

1 Best Answer

Steve,

Thank you very much for the feedback. Just out of curiosity, does airbnb even collect a deposit ? or do they seek reimbursement after the host reports a loss ?  Lastly, what if the guest denies they broke something ?  All advice is appreciated

Thanks,

karl

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28

To file on my insurance effects my rates and also has a high deductible.  I should not have to file my insurance.  What is the Host Guarentee for if not for this type of situation.  Airbnb insurance should pay. They don't want to file.  This is a common problem with them.

AirBnb does not have Insurance, it does have the Host Guarantee which has been described as about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Not even sure the Guarantee would cover this, I can see a strong case that it does not.

David

Yep! AirBnb trust and safety is a joke.

@Shena3

The only thing likely to work in your case is involving the media.

David

Yes. Which media do you think would be most effective?

Not sure it matters, all you want is a Journalist to cal AirBnB PR Dept and say they are doing a story and want their comments.

David

Moe, that's really concerning! I'm rather new to Airbnb.  I thought they were meant to support hosts.  I've just had my first experience bad enough to dispute.  I hope they have my back.  If not, I'm definitely done hosting.  Too big a risk if they aren't backing us up like they say they do.  I hope you did end up with a positive resolution to your issue. 😞

I was wondering the same I had a guest who just damaged my 100 year old original oak floor.  We just spent $4,000 refinishing these floors a month ago.  A guest came threw parties and damaged a scratch on the floor.  How can I collect from the guest without having retaliation from the guest or an issue with payment?

I am having a similarly horrible experience with AirBnb! I hosted guests who threw a party and completely destroyed my apartment 2 months ago! I have provided plenty of documentation (photos and receipts of expenses)....and called AirBnb's "Trust and Safety" customer service number every week for the past 8 weeks. The customer service still says "No one has been assigned to your case and there is nothing I can do about it. You have to wait for someone to get back to you. There is no number for us to call and no way for you to complain directly." This is over $1000 in damages!!!! Nothing from AirBnb! Horrible customer service!!!!

Any updates on this?  Did you ever get reimbursed?

I’m interested in this as a guest just trashed my condo. Looks like the exterior door was kicked repeatedly and left big dents all in it, a backsplash was ripped from the wall, bathroom mirror cracked, expensive blinds damaged along with other small damage. Guest has not responded to my resolution request. Are these issues ever resolved here? Should I find another place to rent my property through?

Kim

AirBnb does not offer a real security deposit and sounds like that is something you need.

David

Do you know if this has been changed it seems there's some security deposit. I just had a guest damage my original hardwood 100 year old oak floors

John1930
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Had a person pass out in the shower and flood my apartment and ruin the floors and the ceiling of the garage below. I have heard nothing since submitting photos, estimates and invoices. It's going to cost me $10,000--20,000 by the time the contractors are done. I'm ready to talk to a lawyer.