Damage to my apartment

Answered!

Damage to my apartment

I am new to the airbnb community as a host. Can someone advise me on the process if a guest does any damage to my apartment ? Broke beach chairs or put a big stain in comforter for example: is there a way to charge guest and get reimbursed for any of these problems ? or do we as owners eat the costs of any damages ? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you,karl

1 Best Answer

Steve,

Thank you very much for the feedback. Just out of curiosity, does airbnb even collect a deposit ? or do they seek reimbursement after the host reports a loss ?  Lastly, what if the guest denies they broke something ?  All advice is appreciated

Thanks,

karl

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Karl40,

You can go to your reservations and select the reservation concerned. Then click on "Send or request" money for that reservation.

then click on "Request money" and then on the button for "Damaged or missing items" and follow from there.

The following article has some pertinent information on requesting compensation.

What is the resolution centre?

Steve.

Steve,

Thank you very much for the feedback. Just out of curiosity, does airbnb even collect a deposit ? or do they seek reimbursement after the host reports a loss ?  Lastly, what if the guest denies they broke something ?  All advice is appreciated

Thanks,

karl

Hello @Karl40,

The article at the link in my last post has a section on getting Airbnb involved if you can't reach an agreement with the guest.

When a host has a security deposit on their listing Airbnb doesn't collect that from the guest in advance.

Typing "deposit" in the "Ask a question or search by keyword" box that shows up after clicking on "Help" throws up the articles below.

How does Airbnb handle security deposits?

What happens if a host claims on a security deposit?

Steve.

This does not work. I have done this and a case manager emailed me about it....Then, 10 minutes later closed the case (without letting me respond!). I had to start the case repeatedly! It has been 2 months....No response from AirBnb. I have provided pictures of my apartment totally destroyed and receipts from what I had to pay to fix everything... Still no support from AirBnb. 2 months!

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

@Karl40 I recently had a situation where two chairs were broken. Forst I searched the Internet to find acceptable replacements and took screenshots of those with price in the shot. Together with pictures of the broken items i was able to request money from my guest. I initially told guest the amount and what was broken so there was no surprise on her end. After requesting money, guest was ahle to pay and money was instantly transferred to paypal. Was a surprisingly simple process. Hope that helps!

colleen

Thank you very much for the feedback. I assume in your case , the guest admitted to the damage ? I'm just curious if they contest the loss  ? What happens if they deny they broke it and you know it wasn't broken before their stay. Any idea how that is handled ?

Thank you,

karl

There is also the Host Guarantee....

No money is collected, if you have  a Security Deposit it is a potential charge against their Credit Card, assuming they have not cancelled it, closed their account.

If the guest disputes well you can submit whatever evidence you have that they did it.

David

Exactly! People use fake credit cards or prepaid cards and close them when they destroy your apartment. This is when AirBnb disappears....and does not support you.

Moe13
Level 1
Mission Viejo, CA

HOSTS beware!!! 

Airbnb wil not advocate for you regardless of how obvious the documentation and support to your claim is. You will endure weeks of frustration, damaged property, and unfair resolution - a class action suit is overdue  

I just had 

@Moe13

Have you taken the matter to Arbitration?

David
Amara6
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I am having two weeks of frustration as well.   My damage was so shocking and also my first time.   I have a feeling that they just sweep my damage under a carpet and hope I will go away.   Is there any action we can take with Airbnb??

@Amara6

Take the matter to Arbitration?

David

I think a class action suit is very past due.  I just have had weeks of torment and all because a guests Samsung Galaxy phone charger blew up and nearly burnt down my house.  It only  burnt carpet and some other areas in the Master bedroom but still that is not the fault or the guest and certainly not my fault as the outlet was fine.  So Airbnb Trust & Safety policy should cover this but they will not even give me a case manager over a month after the incident.  I am having to rent the house with damaged, covered up carpet.  This home was renovated 6 months ago all new.  I am upset!!  Airbnb has messed with an ex travel manager that also knows travel law.  How could they have a policy for such things and then never assist during a tragedy like this.  Jerks really.....

@Sue151

I am not sure what Travel Law is, but there would seem to be a claim against the manufacturer of the charger and of course Fire is a standard peril covered by your own Insurance. Both are likely to have a better basis of settlement that the Host Guarantee.

David