Damage

Ben4128
Level 2
Yakima, WA

Damage

Had my first unpleasant experience with an AirBnB user.  They broke off the kitchen faucet from the base.  Luckily there was not water damage but the fixture was broken and had to be replaced.  This was unfortunate as their check out at 11:00 was followed with another booking at 3:00, same day.   

My question, do I file a reimbursement form of some sort with AirBnb.  I already completed and sent in my rating on her. 

My learning lesson in that she just joined AirBnB and didn't have any reviews, then rented my apartment 2 weeks after joining.

Thoughts?

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ben4128  There is a specific protocol and time line in filing for damages that you should read up about in the Airbnb policies, and unfortunately you missed it.

You have to report the damage before the next guest checks in, or within 48 hours if you haven't had another guest since.

Just because a guest is new to Airbnb and has no reviews doesn't mean they'll be a bad guest, though. Everyone, including hosts, starts out with no reviews. If guests and hosts never took a chance on someone with no reviews yet, there wouldn't be a platform at all.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Ben4128 

I suppose you could just politely ask the guest to reimburse you and send a copy of the receipt.

Some people are honest enough to pay for their mistakes. I would.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ben4128 Our guests have 'broken' taps, towel rails and a fitted hob. In every case it could be put down to wear and tear and/or badly fitted items. I guess I am warning that it might not have been the guest's fault - Of course it equally might have been!