Damage

Damage

Hi there, I need advice from community.

I am Mandy from Malaysia. This is regarding a guest damaged my unit badly. This guest booked my unit thru Airbnb, and she complaint alot  after stayed in. She also said alot of bad words to us ( like - go to hell, you are not human.. etc). She even scold us intentionally spoilt the aircond, but the fact was the aircon is working well. I reported this guest to Airbnb because we suspected her has mental issue. After 2 weeks , she said would like to check out early. I agreed to refund her and asked her to change  dates instead of cancellation. I even sent her all the steps to make alteration from Airbnb. But she still applied for cancellation. I contacted Airbnb, but airbnb said they cant do anything now, since she had make cancellation. After few hours, she text me and would like to continue her stay with us until the period suppose to end ( which is another 2 weeks.). So we just let her continue to stay...

Last week, she checked out from our unit, due to Covid-19 safety concern, we only entered the unit few days after she left. It's a BIG SHOCKED. She damaged the whole unit, smashed the TV and threw over the glass door, the glass door broken, spoilt the oven, poured softdrink onto the bed, cut the curtain, smashed the mirror, smashed all plates and glassess, cut my sofa using blade... and many more. I tried to call her, but cant reached her.

Few days ago, we found her is staying in another unit. i have contacted the Host and told her about violant action of this guest. The host has intention to get her out from the unit. But the problem is , this guest booked her unit thru airbnb too. We both contacted Airbnb, but sadly, we dont get respond from airbnb. Of couse i would like to look for this guest for reparation, but we also worry she might damage the current unit.

What can do we now?  Can the current host cancel her booking ? 

1 Reply 1

@Mandy332 Do I understand correctly that this guest continued to stay in the flat after her cancelation process was complete and she no longer had an active Airbnb booking in the subsequent dates? If so, Airbnb may contend that the damage was not covered by the Host Guarantee since it occurred in an off-platform (non Airbnb) agreement.

The stay should still reviewable, and I would definitely recommend posting a public review of the guest before your 14 days are up. At least that would help future hosts avoid this nightmare.

What the current host does about this booking is really up to her, and aside from telling her your story there's not really anything else you can do. In theory, knowing where she's currently staying makes it easier to track her down, but your options for pursuing compensation may be limited to the processes that exist under Malaysian civil law.