Damages

Damages

I just joined this site mid July and my second guests broke the legs off my bed. Broke a lamp. Damaged the wall and the archway into the walk in closet. Damaged the carpet. 

My third guest, a youngster, booked for 7 days got close to 300$ in discounts for the week, then stayed 3 days, the weekend. Claimed water was coming in after a rain storm and wanted 400$ returned to him, which would have had him stay for almost free. 

My place was gutted and renovated previously to listing it. It is brand new inside.

I was given a bad review from this spoiled child, all because I would not give him a free stay. 

Is this the way it is?  Is this what I am to expect?  Do they even make good on their promises? 

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Donna986 

I haven't had a problem guest or any damage to my listing in five years of hosting and hundreds of guests.

Hosts here report that if you discount heavily it can result in your having problem guests who don't look after your place.

I would suggest it would be useful for you to remove IB if you are using it and vet your guests carefully to ensure there is a good fit with your listing before you agree to them staying.

Presumably you sent a request for payment to the first guest who damaged your property through airbnb's resolution centre?

With the most recent guest when you checked the property after he complained of leaking water coming through, was there any truth to his claim?