Damages

Summer57
Level 1
Redfern, Australia

Damages

Our lovely little flat, was vandalised and maliciously damaged 2 weekends ago.It is on the central coast of NSW at Booker Bay. I am just wondering if anyone else has sustained significant damage to their flat on the coast. I am estimating a minimum of $7500 worth of damage and items stolen . I have made a claim with AIRBNB however are waiting on their response. The police from Gosford and Woy Woy are not interested in assisting.

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Summer57

I am sorry it happen to you , it's a nightmare for every host 😞

I am surprised the police is not interested. You did right to make a damage claim and involved Airbnb. Maybe you should contact Airbnb every few days to remaind them . It takes some time for Airbnb to resolve the case and I hope you will be refunded at least partially.

To prevent such cases in the future you could make some changes in your hosting style:

- ask photo ID of all your guests, on the arrival, and write down all their personal informations. Guests will think twice if they know you know their identity. State in your house rules that they will be asked to provide photo ID during check in process.

- meet your guests in person on arrival

- put security surveliance cameras

- set security deposit

- don't use instant booking if you can survive without it

- if you have instant booking then accept only people with good reviews

- read other threads here on CC about this topic

Good luck 😞

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Branka-and-Silvia0@Summer57

That's most devastating

I hope you have the names of the Police officers who are failing in there Duty of Care, they have legal obligations to investigate all crime.

Look up other cases and network with other hosts through CC and also who have been mentioned in mainstream news on Google.

You may also like to reach out to whoever the Police Officers from those stations are accountable to, e.g Regional Managers as it's not acceptable.

If those involved have done that to you, what other crimes have they been involved in?

Summer57
Level 1
Redfern, Australia

Thanks for the advice

I have made some changes to profile from your tips

the police have suddenly become interested... however no action yet. I am calling Airbnb today.