Day 24: A New Day to Discover

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Day 24: A New Day to Discover

Thank you @Katie for the invitation to post and thank you to those that have shared their highlights and stories since the start of December.

Day 24 -  A New Day to Discover Ōhope Beach.....

Here we are, a day before Christmas and as normal we try to avoid the mad rush of the Festive Season. The hectic pace of people in a hurry.

The bustle is re assuring for those shop keepers ,eateries , vacation rentals and in general ‘us the folk’, it adds to the normalacy of Summer vacation and the benefits it brings to our local economy.

Last year we had family visiting that were wanting to share our summer Christmas , it was a celebration of being together.

It is different this year, with international travel restrictions world wide.

So in our little bubble of NZ  we too are craving the need to escape our homes, our cities and look for a getaway. 

Ōhope Beach is a NZ favourite and a draw card for many visitors to discover  each year , it also happens to be where we live. 

Outlook over the Reserve  towards Ōhope BeachOutlook over the Reserve towards Ōhope Beach

In anticipation of the new crowds , we go in search of our quiet , our zen to recharge.

Our chosen trail leads through a native reserve that is home to our native Kiwi bird. 

Our local Kiwi ReserveOur local Kiwi Reserve

It is early morning and we are the only people on this  trail, it is a favourite for all those that live by .  Our quiet is the bird song that greets us , a whisper of the wind that  echoes through these ancient trees or our breathing in tune with our running strides. 

The mighty Pohutukawa TreesThe mighty Pohutukawa Trees

It is easy to find our Zen here and feel recharged to face the new crowds.

The colours of nature ...The colours of nature ...

With tired legs and the statisfaction of feeling refreshed we head home.

The traffic sound can be heard now and as we emerge there are new arrivals , with their cars packed for Summer fun.

From our little part of the globe ,

we wish you all ‘  a fabulous Festive Season, stay safe & stay well !!’

Laura 

Ōhope Beach , NZ

D423CABB-F90F-4CC0-914F-6A975EC07DD7.jpeg

19 Replies 19
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Thank you @Laura2484 for sharing your beautiful trail with us all. As I read your post and eyed each image, I found my breathing improve and could hear my own breath through those wonderful trees and ferns. May I wish you and yours a wonderful and safe Christmas. X 

I am calmer now and happier to start my day.... 🌿

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Thank you @Cathie19we are certainly spoilt for choices of zen like places ,to discover and to enjoy.

Festive Greetings to you all as well.🎄

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I have to agree with @Cathie19 here - this post is a breath of fresh air @Laura2484! It's really nice to go on this journey with you and see the amazing sights of nature, but also to step back from the madness (and/or frustration this year) of festivities, and take a moment to refocus 🌿

I spotted a stone to the left of the entrance to the reserve - does it have some art etched on it? 

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Good spotting @Katie ,

This area is monitored Kiwi land , a project to help protect their existence living here in this reserve.

The northern kiwi found in this reserveThe northern kiwi found in this reserve

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Laura2484 

You are a lucky person to live near a beautiful beach and with so many beautiful nature and trails around.
Thank you for sharing this beautiful trail and so beautiful photos!

I wish you and yours a wonderful Festive Season.

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Wishing you both & families Festive Season greetings from us all in NZ.🎄🌏

We feel very lucky @J-Renato0 @Katie @Cathie19 @Nick  to live here in Ōhope, but there are so many other beautiful places too. 🇳🇿

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

So lovely to see you step up this year @Laura2484 in Month of Celebration to represent us New Zealand folk.

As you know I thought it was time some others joined in and you have.

Hope you are having plenty of swims in your backyard

Do you know who owned the land where the Kiwis are?
Was it farmland and then gifted to the Queen Elizabeth 2 Trust lands?

Thank you  @Helen427 . If you ever make your way to Ōhope Beach be sure to pack your walking shoes also, there are great reserves and trails to explore. 

The  water temperature is ideal for our daily swims and is enjoyed by many at the moment.

This reserve is unique and due to its terrain isn’t suitable as farmland but part of it was used as the road between Whakatāne and Ōhope in the early 1920s . Originally this whole area was tribal land with many pa sites built along the hills, of which are still very evident today. 

Do you have a preferred beach or bay to swim ? 

@Laura2484 thank you for this wonderful post, with such beautiful photos of your beautiful NZ. I have traveled all over South Island and been to Auckland,  but I have never been to Ohope beach. What an amazing place. Your photos make me feel calm and want to travel at the same time! and more importantly filled me with hope and optimism for 2021! Best to you, Catherine 

The South Island is certainly beautiful and worth the visit too @Catherine-Powell . Was there a particular place that just ‘took your breath away?’ 

Here’s to 2021 and all it entails. 

All the best.

Laura

@Laura2484 we loved all of South Island. Two things stand out still in my memory: one was horse-riding in Glenorchy (where lord of the rings was filmed). Spectacular views. And we swam with the horses which was a first. And the second was the trek we did on the Milford Sound Track. Truly stunning.

I attach a photo i took from the top of the horse!!IMG_0932.JPG

Trudie7
Level 6
Sydney, Australia

@Laura2484 New Zealand is beautiful. We are so lucky that you kindly shared a snippet of your piece of paradise with us, thank you.

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Thanks @Trudie7 . All the best for 2021 🎉

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Laura2484

Thank you for sharing with us this post, it is so interesting and the photos are so beautiful 

Thanks, 

Miloud