Day 9 - First White Christmas

Yuan100
Level 10
Singapore

Day 9 - First White Christmas

Thank you @Katie for reaching out so I could keep everyone posted what I’ve been up to and to share my travel journey with you guys.

This year is filled with so many uncertainties where we learned to embrace ‘just go with the flow’. My partner supposed to come back to Asia in October but due to strict rules in Singapore, he’s unable to enter. After being apart for 5 months, I decided to go over. I never thought I would be in the Nordic countries to spend my first white Christmas. It’s kinda weird to be travelling during such a time. I am now writing from a small town in Norway as we’re doing our own self-quarantine for the next 10 days.

Before my trip, my friends helped to prepare a few items for safety precaution since I will be on the plane for a total of 13 hrs. It's better to be safe than sorry! Although my partner is from Norway, we decided to meet in Stockholm because Singapore is exempted from quarantine.

PPE, all kind of wipes, masks, disinfectant, gloves and hand sanitisersPPE, all kind of wipes, masks, disinfectant, gloves and hand sanitisers Bringing my starter along because I will be baking my own bread during quarantineBringing my starter along because I will be baking my own bread during quarantine In my funky PPEIn my funky PPE 

I transited in Doha for 2 and a half hours. For my first leg of the trip Singapore - Doha passengers did observe the rule of wearing a mask on board however on my second leg of the trip Doha- Stockholm it is not the same. I am a little anxious, to be honest especially when someone coughed. Yes, I am that paranoid!!  😅

View from aboveView from above

We booked an Airbnb away from the city. It was a studio within a house with the host, Malin and her family staying beside us. Thou, the space is not that big but it’s enough for us both. The studio was very well equipped. She even prepared a few types of disinfectant near to the door. I really do appreciate how she took care of the place and the well being of her guests. She leaves 3 days gap in between each booking. 

Home for the next 2 nightsHome for the next 2 nightsLittle decorsLittle decorsFully equipped kitchenFully equipped kitchen

We managed to have one full day exploring Stockholm. However, at the back of my head, I am pretty guarded still. It seems everything is normal here. It was such a huge contrast from Singapore.

Exploring Gamla stanExploring Gamla stan Stockholm cityStockholm city Trying to get used to the sun setting at 3pmTrying to get used to the sun setting at 3pm

We crossed the border between Sweden and Norway by car. Of course, I did my covid test beforehand in Stockholm just in case there is a check at the border. We drove 6 hours thru some darkness and slippery roads. Nonetheless, we made it back home with some Indian food takeaways as a treat!

Woke up to snowWoke up to snow

Living in a winter place is such an eye-opening experience for me (first-timer). Little things like scraping frozen ice from the car window shield, watching smokes coming out from the chimney or just sitting by the fireplace comforts me. I am happy I don't have to sweat when I cook or bake, even better when I pipped whipping cream it doesn't melt at all! I am still getting used to all these and loving each day to the fullest.

Sitting by the fireplace with my doughSitting by the fireplace with my doughWhipping cream doesn't melt!Whipping cream doesn't melt!A cup of hot chocolateA cup of hot chocolate

Despite such a year, I am still able to tick off my yearly goal which is to visit one new country every year. I am counting my blessings and feeling grateful every day to be able to spend this time with my partner. I also look forward to visiting my ex-guest who is residing in Oslo. Back when we met 7 years ago, we didn't expect we would end up with a Norwegian partner. It's funny how things come together.  

I hope everyone here able to spend this Christmas with your loved ones. What is your family Christmas traditions like? Any special dishes you guys would make? I would love to hear it because this is my first time celebrating a proper white Christmas! 

Sending you guys much love this Christmas season. Hope everyone here able to spend it with your loved ones.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! ❤️

Much much love from Norway!Much much love from Norway!

Yuan

36 Replies 36
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Salut @Yuan100 ,

Beautiful post!

You're a Romantic Warriors👏

Yours bringing out the best of each other, true love is always going to be worth it 💕

I wish both of you have a wonderful time and enjoyed magical white Christmas.☃️ 

Best, 

Thank you @Dale711 for your well wishes 😄 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Dear @Yuan100. How lovely to hear your voice, telling your story; and what a story it is!

- As for your paranoia travelling, it would be nothing more than mine! 
- Wonderful that you could make the decision to meet up with your partner, sadly not back in Singapore.

-  Wonderful, that you are still allowed to travel outbound from Singapore. 

How amazing that love prevailed and you are with your partner. ❤️

-  Wonderful that you had a wonderful AIrbnb experience in a foreign country.

-  More wonderful, that you could meet in Stockholm and enjoy one of the prettiest cities in the world. 

- How wonderful you got to drive back to Norway.....

- How wonderful your Covid19 test was okay.

- How delightful that you and your bread starter made it to Norway! 

- A white Christmas with your loved one AND fresh bread.....

NOW THAT’S a good story!

====
footnote:

@Lizzie  will be organising a pre Christmas social meet-up. it would be wonderful if the time suits you to join us again for a Xmas celebratory hello! All decorations, bread and partner welcome! X

Hi @Cathie19 !!! 

It was a wonderful experience and I am loving every minute being here!!

I would definitely join the pre-Christmas if it suits my time!!

Look forward to catch up with you guys soonie xx 

Yuan

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I remember @Yuan100, when I first came to live in the tropics. I couldn’t work out why when applying royal icing, to the cake, it wasn’t working. Oh the heat was making it slip and slide, like a melting snowman in a cartoon -  whilst I sweated in the kitchen. (no air-con back then)

So I certainly appreciate the joy of whipping cream without a sweat! 🥰 Oh the joy! 

BTW, the air conditioner is on low these days when cooking! ❄️

AHAHAHAHA indeed ! 

It's so nice when the oven is on 😍

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

What a wonderful adventure @Yuan100

#There's another way!!
The Swedish people are great for having looked outside the square and remaining independent.

We have a friend whose husband is in Sweden, he prefers the colder climes, and she is here in New Zealand.

Have you looked up Malin's here in CC to see if your Host is a member @Yuan100 
Maybe you can @ them if they are!

All the best for an awesome adventure and remember to go to Church for a once in a lifetime Christmas occasion in another country & take a copy of the programme as a souvenir .

Happy Holidays!!

Hello! @Helen427 

Thank you for the tips 😄

Just tried looking for Malin but she's not here sadly. 

Have a good celebration to you and your family!

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

So lovely to hear about your journey @Yuan100, thanks for sharing 😊

Such dedication from you in bringing your bread starter too, excellent - I hope you'll share some pics of the final product! 

What did you think of Stockholm? I've always been really keen to visit Sweden but I've not made it yet. 

I love that you're embracing all the hot drinks and baked goods - this is exactly how I welcome in the Winter 😋  It's funny because even though I grew up here in the UK and have spent the majority of my life here, I'm still shocked every year when it gets dark earlier and earlier as the season change - we peak at about 4pm, so I can't even imagine what 3pm darkness might be like 🙃

Where is this wonderful picture at the end, where you're standing above the clouds? ☁️

Hi @Katie !!

I always love sharing good stories with others 😄 

This is the first sourdough potato bread I baked here. It seems like my starter 'Alfred' loves it here! Very bubbly and contented. 

Potato sourdough breadPotato sourdough breadCrumbsCrumbs

I don't think it is a good idea to visit Stockholm during the winter. I don't get to see much of the city but I hope to go back in Spring/ Summer then may I will have a better impression of the city. So far I love Copenhagen still amongst the Nordic cities. I may be biased because I love cafes and bakes in Copenhagen a lot more! 

The picture was taken at Aurland, Norway towards the west side of Norway. Usually, this place is packed by tourists. 

Not much we can really do during winter, other than staying in a lot of, baking and eating lots! Haha I guess we're storing fats over the winter to prepare ourselves for the summer days. 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wowee @Yuan100, the bread looks amazing 👏🍞 I can almost smell it 😋

Ok that's a great tip, thank you - I loved Copenhagen too so I sense we are on the same page. 

Adding Aurland to the bucket list too - looks like you visited at the perfect time! 📸

Thank you so much @Katie @Nick @Quincy @Liv @Lizzie  for the gift! Gonna be very useful in my kitchen 😄

Marry Christmas! xx 

Yuan

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh, so glad you got this @Yuan100, I really hope you like it and enjoy it (and so appropriate under those delicious breads!) 

Merry Xmas to you too 🎄

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very happy to hear that you've received it @Yuan100😃

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen