Day of arrival and guests haven't responded to give a time of arrival - I'm waiting around. What can I do?

Natalie725
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Day of arrival and guests haven't responded to give a time of arrival - I'm waiting around. What can I do?

My guests didn't take heed of the pre-booking message asking to give an arrival time upon booking. They then didn't respond to my booking confirmation message, asking them to give an arrival time when they can. Three days before arrival, they also didn't respond to the message - yet again - asking for an arrival time (in this message, I also sent on the link for the check-in guide).

It's now 3pm on the day of their arrival and I'm waiting around here. I don't want to harass them but it's stressing me out a bit, not knowing when they're arriving and whether they'll be bad guests because of this. They have no previous reviews and no profile picture, but I accepted their request at the time because their initial message was polite. 

What can I do? Worst case scenario, if they don't arrive before 11pm, can I lock the front door and tell them that sorry, but they have to check in tomorrow because the check-in time is over? 

Advice is appreciated. Thanks! 

54 Replies 54
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I would never let it get to a guest check in day without knowing what time they will arrive @Natalie725 

Did you phone or text the guest when they didn't reply? Did you contact Airbnb and ask them to contact the guest when you weren't able to reach them?

In your situation if the guest is still not responding to your calls and messages which confirm to them your check in window, I would call Airbnb and ask them to try and contact the guest.

If your check in time slot is 3-11 p.m. then hopefully you have reminded the guests of this in previous messages.

I would suggest going forward always chase guests well in advance of their check in day and also look at getting self check in facilities for guests so you are not waiting around for guests to check in.

Thanks Helen, yes normally I have a self check-in process set up for guests whenever I'm away from home. But my gut tells me I should be around for these guests because they havent been responsive and have no reviews or photos. He hasn't yet replied to the text message I just sent (perhaps on the plane or no data). All the same, if I hear nothing by later this evening, I'll go ahead and contact Airbnb and see what is going on with them. You would think people would have common sense ! And I'm hoping they are aware that I'm waiting around for them

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

This has happened to me several times, it's usually because they do not have the app. I would try texting them. I would also leave them one last message, saying if you don't hear from them by x time then they will have to wait to checkin until they get a hold of you.

Thanks Juan, I've just texted the guest there. I imagine he hasn't checked his emails and read the check-in guide... So not sure what to expect !

Write or call airbnb as well. Usually if I don't get a reply to my questions when guests book - I try texting the guest via phone number and the airbnb made email. If I don't get an answer within 24 hours I always contact airbnb via the reservation (the help link) asking them to reach the guest for an answer. It helps.

Thanks Sandra, I'll go ahead and message Airbnb now 

Have you tried calling them on the phone, before you involve Airbnb, @Natalie725

I have already texted them but haven't called them yet. Airbnb is going to call them for me now. I normally wouldn't feel the need to, but my gut is telling me that these particular guests may need a more stern approach/ don't know how Airbnb works at all.

@Natalie725   Your listing offers self-check-in with keypad as an amenity. Were the guests supplied with a keycode? If so, I don't see any reason why they should think you're waiting around for them all day.  

I have to use the "self check-in" process so that guests can follow precise directions and gate codes to get inside, but I am nearly always there to greet them. I explain this to them before arrival and also in my listing. It's annoying that "self check-in" shows up at the top of my listing, when it's not a "size fits all" method.

Just to clarify, I live at the top of an apartment complex and am afraid of using our elevator. So I just send guests a self check in link with codes and directions, and I then meet them at my front door

Hi @Natalie725 🙂

I think I would remove the "self check-in option" if I were you - unless the guests are able to check-in completely without your involvement and whenever they would like to within your check-in time frame. I think that is what many guests expect when they see the self check-in thing on a listing - flexible check-in without having to deal with a host. 

I don't got the self check-in option ticked but I still use the function with a picture guide I have made. I have made a direction guide I send to the guests via the normal airbnb message feed and also I send the picture guide using the "instuction to check-in guide". Maybe you can do that as well if you would like to meet and greet your guests?

Best, Sandra 

I agree with you but felt using the check-in guide was way more efficient with its steps.. rather than messaging each time with individual photos to their inbox. Also sometimes I'm home, sometimes I'm not... It's just to avoid me having to base my entire life plans around the guest. I communicate the whole process clearly to them before arrival, but for the very few it seems they don't even read our messages 

Is there another option I can use? With a step by step process and a link ? But it's not called "self check in2? Thanks!