Day of arrival and guests haven't responded to give a time of arrival - I'm waiting around. What can I do?

Natalie725
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Day of arrival and guests haven't responded to give a time of arrival - I'm waiting around. What can I do?

My guests didn't take heed of the pre-booking message asking to give an arrival time upon booking. They then didn't respond to my booking confirmation message, asking them to give an arrival time when they can. Three days before arrival, they also didn't respond to the message - yet again - asking for an arrival time (in this message, I also sent on the link for the check-in guide).

It's now 3pm on the day of their arrival and I'm waiting around here. I don't want to harass them but it's stressing me out a bit, not knowing when they're arriving and whether they'll be bad guests because of this. They have no previous reviews and no profile picture, but I accepted their request at the time because their initial message was polite. 

What can I do? Worst case scenario, if they don't arrive before 11pm, can I lock the front door and tell them that sorry, but they have to check in tomorrow because the check-in time is over? 

Advice is appreciated. Thanks! 

54 Replies 54

@Natalie725 until about a week ago I had this little key icon next to the "attach photo" and "store answer guide"  icon in the message feed (when using the app). It disappeared and I had to take screen shots of the different pictures from the check-in guide. I have stored them on my phone so I can easily add them as normal pictures now - including the text. Incredible annoying that they chose to remove the option to just send the check-in guide link :-/.

I have filled out the check-in guide and I think my guests do receive the guide - I just don't trust them to actually see it so I send all information via the normal message feed so all information are visible in the feed. You can fill out the check-in guide and use it. You don't have to tick the self check-in in order to be able to use the check-in guide :-). 

I am the same, I don't trust Airbnb's automated emails to guests so I also send the instructions manually. I'll have to have a little rethink about the process and try to make something else work, or try to get Airbnb to remove the highlight where it says self check-in at the top of my listing. Thanks again for your advice!

@Natalie725 You should be able to un-tick the self check-in option under settings. 

I really like your place btw! 🙂 

Thank you! That means alot coming from another host. And likewise for your place, I wouldn't hesitate to book with you if myself and my partner visit Berlin (which we plan to do!)

LOL, Copenhagen. Sorry I was focused on Andrew's place for some reason. I have seen your listing before for Denmark from other threads 🙂

@Natalie725  What you're describing there is, by definition, not self-check-in.  That misleading text at the top of your listing will go away if you go to Edit Listing, click the Guest Resources tab, and change the check-in instructions to "Host greets you." You can still supplement that with the necessary keycodes upon confirmation, but it would go a long way to prevent confusion. 

If it's at all possible for the guests to enter the building without you being there to greet them, I would think that you're obliged to honor your listing's offer of self-check-in. You could lock the door at 11 PM, but Airbnb would most likely cancel the booking and grant the guests full refund.

it has literally never caused me an issue in my 1.5 years of hosting and I wouldn't call it misleading as it explains in the listing what the process is, as well as me explaining it throughout messages before their stay. But I'll look into it.

and some of the time, I'm not around to meet them in person, so it can become odd territory

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Natalie725 

Off topic: Did You finally get Your money from airbnb?

Hello! I apologise I must have forgotten to reply to you. Yes I eventually got paid but it was a week late and I think I must have spent an entire day on the phone with Airbnb. The same thing happened another time after that too. I think there must be some shady situation going on behind that when it does happen.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Natalie725   I've found that unresponsive guests almost always, like more than 90% will respond when  your message says that you need the arrival time so THEY will be able to access the unit.  This changes the dynamic from a courtesy seeming issue to a convenience issue for them.  Our last guest was the same, we had sent 2 messages asking for arrival time, no response; we sent the third asking for arrival time to ensure he could get into the house and get keys and voila, arrival time is given.

Much like you, we offer self check in, but pretty much as a last resort, we discourage it and we strongly prefer to meet the guests in person, and I think that is fine.

Definitely agree. It was the one time I forgot to send a shorter message saying this, before sending the link for the guide. Airbnb has just rung the guest and they are in a taxi now. He sent me a very blunt and short text to say this also... Already feeling like we're starting on the wrong foot and I'm also wound up now. I'm sure this stay will cause issues! 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Natalie725  Just because an issue has not become evident in 1.5 years, does not make it any less valid.  I don't understand your hesitation to call the guest directly after you did not receive a response to your first message.  There are many reasons why new guests do not respond - lack of notification setting, lack of app, lack of realization they need to respond.

I agree with other hosts that you cannot be listing as self check in.  You could activate self check in on a case by case basis, but if a guest uses the self check in as a search term, you have not provided an accurate listing.

Lately I have had to reach out the guests more often and I have been doing this business for over 4 years.  Always have to adjust seems to be the name of this hosting game 😄

Obviously new issues and situations pop up all the time, but this is my first time having a problem with lack of response for a check-in time, in 1.5years. That shows that my current method isn't an issue for the majority and I have never received anything less than 5 stars for accuracy.

If you read my listing, you will see that this information is plastered everywhere that you self check-in and I will meet you at the front door. This is also stated at the initial point of contact and again 3 days before their arrival. 

The issue I'm posting about isn't even directly related to what you're talking about, so I don't get why you're coming onto this thread on your high horse.

And I did reach out to call the guest and they did not respond, this is why Airbnb was contacted.