Dealing with HOA rules

Kevin50
Level 1
Houston, TX

Dealing with HOA rules

Has anyone else had issues with condominium H OA rules not allowing renting your apartment or condominium through Airbnb?
20 Replies 20
Gary144
Level 1
Fredericksburg, VA

This is a huge issue solved by following the HOA rules and making sure your tenants do the same.   My  HOA in DC has a problem with a tenant subrenting on Airbnb possibly without the knowledge of the units owner.   All rentals in the building are limieted to six months or more as per the bylaws, so Airbnb is not permited.  The tenant / Airbnb host uses a lock box on another building, tells guests not to admit to renting on Airbnb, uses a fake picture of himself, etc. to hide what they are doing.   The HOA can only fine the owner, so there is a serious issue between the HOA and the owner, the owner and his tenant, and the Airbnb guests and the host.  

Very simple.  Follow the HOA and Airbnb rules.  If you don't like them, try to have the rules changed, but don't break them until you do.

I fully support Airbnb where it is allowed, but condemn the practice where it is restricted.   

Crystal62
Level 2
Sterling, VA

My HOA informed me that they don't allow AirBNB.  What do I do now?  Just finished reading the suggestions.  Removing my page from AirBNB. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I always get a giggle when I see sharing, they share their money, I share my room. Going to the supermarket tomorrow to do a bit of sharing, used to be called shopping.

I would assume certainly in the US that the norm for a HOA is not to permit short term renting, like any general rule I am sure there are exceptions.

David
Cassie22
Level 2
Kapolei, HI

I know the HOA can restrict you from "sharing" your home, but do they have the authority to actually tell you to remove your listing from Airbnb? What if my listing is still up but the dates are all marked unavailble while I sort out he legaltiy of the issue?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you're not taking bookings any more and the HOA said you can host current bookings  just snooze the listing.

if they have told you, you can't take current bookings you will need to cancel them or face future fines which will be likely to be much higher than any airbnb cancellation fees @Cassie22 

Always wise to check whether you can do STRs in your lease before setting up an STR business. 

Robert5839
Level 1
Auburn, AL

Can anyone please send me a copy of your HOA rules? My 4 neighbors are trying to put together HOA's and they dont make sense. Would like to see what others are doing. Thanks

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]