Declining a potential guest

Deb35
Level 1
Richmond, Australia

Declining a potential guest

Im very new to hosting on Air bnb.

My first guests are due in under 10 days which is great but some parts of the set up process have been confusing and I started receiving requests before I realised my Listing was live.

I've since read that a host is only allowed to Decline a certain number of times.

Is this right?  If so, how many and what is and isn't considered an acceptable reason to Decline a request?

Thanks,

Deb

7 Replies 7
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

You may decline within reason, but I think if you decline a lot your ranking in the search results will drop considerably.  I decline if there is a mismatch like families with children when the listing says unsuitable for children.  

I also decline those I do not feel comfortable with - especially those asking for discounts.  The other day I had to decline a request for next summer - I was not prepared for requests that far ahead as it has never happened before.  

Thanks for your prompt reply, good to know.

Regards,

Deb

Cathy158
Level 1
Kingston, Canada

Expecting my first guest in 1 week! I'm getting lots of shorter term bookings, which is what I wanted but I got a request from a student who wanted to rent my house for 4 months.  I inquired as to why he needed such a big house for just one person and he said he was bringing some of his friends.  I declined him on the basis that he didn't fit my requirements for bookings.  He has contacted me again saying he can't find another place.  I am feeling a little uncomfortable with the situation.  What should I do?

Hi Cathy, I'd trust my gut instinct and continue to say no. I have been hosting for 6 minths and I too found it a little uncomfortable to say no at first. So I offered info re other, more suitable places in the area. I have a cost per 2pp and a surcharge for any more people staying. Utilities costs become higher and wear and tear is a consideration.  Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with anyone staying at my place for 4 months with plans to bring friends, that I knew nothing about, to stay.

They might stay for extended periods or w'ends, either way its a bit too loose of an arrangement

for me. Good luck 

@Cathy158:  I agree with @Deb35.  Trust your instincts.  As a brand new Host, you must want to establish some reviews so that Guests read those and want to rent from you.  One renter for a longer period not only brings the potential for a long-term nightmare Guest, but also eliminates the opportunity for you to learn from and improve Hosting through hosting multiple Guests.  This is how you grow your Hosting business, and learn what works best for your home from the numerous Guests you may have during those 4 months.  Remember this is your home.  I've read many new Hosts who are so anxious to rent to others, they are willing to accept anyone.  You can have a nightmare Guest for 2 or 3 nights.  What about 4 months?  If this person is reaching out to you multiple times, that would tell me they are too high-maintenance, and looking to take advantage of you.  If they can stay for 4 months, you also may not be charging enough for the space.  (Just a thought.)  You will feel more comfortable declining as you Host more Guests.  Just remember that this is your home and you should not feel bad about saying no to a scenario that you're not totally comfortable with.  You will have other opportunities.  Good luck.  Lois

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

Maybe if you set your maximum stay length to shorter than 4 months, the person you're not comfortable accepting will look elsewhere. The longest stay I'm willing to host is 2 weeks. I'd advertise for an actual tenant if I wanted someone long term. 

Thanks for all your help.  I declined again and directed him to another source.  I also changed my booking requirements to a maximum of 2 weeks.