Demoralized over damages

James2566
Level 9
Holetown, Barbados

Demoralized over damages

7CD16DEB-4217-48D6-B5ED-84E3F2E53DEC.jpeg

I’m being tested this week. 

I have six studios and a small office onsite where I store appliances and items I don’t include as part of the listing like yoga mats, beach coolers, grocery trolley, slow cooker, Nespresso machine, so many things. I don’t feel these items are necessary inside each unit. Unlike a microwave, basic things. The ones that need a signature are expensive, they require sanitizing, rust prevention, it’s just easier to have guests sign them out if needed and to store them properly. 

To sign them out I have a simple form that lists guest info, item description, condition, replacement value and cleaning fee (if any, usually waived out of kindness). A crop of my form is attached to show you the disclaimer section. 

They sign under this agreement:

Guest agrees to return borrowed or rented items free of stains or damage. Guest is responsible for ensuring proper care of item(s) by all family or group members. If stains or damage occur, guest agrees to pay for repairs or replacement to return item(s) to original condition.

Well, for the first time a guest broke an appliance marked in new condition worth $150. We tried to repair it but it’s a power knob that’s snapped in half, I feel gluing it back would make it a fire hazard. Looks like it would take force to break that knob in half. I don’t feel it’s wear and tear, looks like it was turned beyond its maximum point and snapped in half from force. Almost like if you turned the knob of your stove to the point it can’t go further and keep turning, and the whole thing snaps. 

This is rare and never pleasant. I explained to the guest we have to replace it as we can’t repair it, and this needs to be covered, but that one button still works so he’s welcome to keep the appliance.

So why didn’t I let it slide if it’s just $150? A few reasons. We were so generous to start with and I have documents showing every super thing we did during his stay. It bothered me how they just assumed this was no big deal, probably because of how nice we are, but it’s $150. Maybe my ego got in the way when it was assumed this was no biggie. We let them check in hours early, smoke on the patio since there were no guests next door, gave them free meals and toilet paper on Sunday when they didn’t realize restaurants and stores were closed. The price was $100 a night for a luxury studio because of COVID. I guess I just felt like where do I draw the line of generosity? Why should I absorb the cost of this broken appliance. Why am I being so taken advantage of in 20-21, like a parent. These are not my adult children.

His response was of course apocalyptic and says he’s going to leave me a terrible review and report this to AirBnb as he refuses to pay, that AirBnb is one of his advertising clients (bet I didn’t know that), and I stopped reading then as it seemed abusive. I took a breath and responded that he sounds very upset so I’ll wait to speak to the AirBnb representative. 

I’m realizing this week that guests can do what they want and retaliate if they break or damage your home.

And that no good deed goes unpunished.

I’m thinking these bonus items won’t be available at all anymore. Was trying to be kind but if I get threatened or abused when they damage expensive things, it’s not worth it for me. I don’t even make money from loaning bonus items so what’s the point. I was trying to be super. There aren’t enough super guests to warrant additional services that could increase comfort. Leave these things in the house and they’ll get stolen or destroyed. Also never their fault. 

So I have a photo of the broken appliance and a scan of his signed form to borrow it the day of check-in with of course his agreement to be responsible for repairs or replacement. I wonder if AirBnb will allow his retaliatory review. It’s not like this item was necessary. It’s clear he agreed to borrow it with conditions. What more can I do. I covered myself. 

I really need some good things to happen to inspire me to keep going. for now I won’t let guests borrow non-essential things until I’ve had time to rethink this policy and weigh the pros and cons.

The Johnsons
10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@James2566  Sorry you are having these bad guests. Telling you he'll leave a bad review if forced to pay for what he damaged is extortion and against Airbnb policy. Hopefully you have his extortion in writing. Report it to Airbnb. If the guest told you he'd leave a bad review in retaliation, you need to insist they remove the review.

"We let them check in hours early, smoke on the patio since there were no guests next door, gave them free meals and toilet paper on Sunday when they didn’t realize restaurants and stores were closed. "

This was a mistake. I know you were trying to be a good host, but guests who demand or ask for special exceptions are a harbinger of trouble. They then see you as a pushover. Learn how to say no in a polite, professional, but firm way.

I wouldn't let guests use extra things that there could be an argument about as to whether they damaged it, or whether it was repairable. At the very least they should be required to pay replacement value up front, and if they return it in good shape, you return the money.

@Sarah977  you read my mind. Again 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Maybe we should just have a joint account. Branka and Silvia and Sarah. Then we could just take turns posting, since we have a hive mind 🙂

@Sarah977  

Branka and Silvia and Sarah aka BSS 😄 and as we live in different time zones we can cover 24/7

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Ok thanks!

I do have in writing he’s going to post a bad review because I’m asking him to pay for the damage. I also have a message deom

him on checkout saying how great we were and “inspiring” hosts.

I will give them a heads up now! 

The Johnsons
James2566
Level 9
Holetown, Barbados

This is so bizarre. I received a robotic copy-paste answer with a link about the few circumstances when AirBnb can remove a review. It didn’t even address the guest’s threat or his dispute of not wanting to pay for the damage. It had a sentence thanking me for obviously being a great host (standard). 

They consider the case closed because he hasn’t yet left the review. This was the most disappointing response I’ve ever received. 

Knowing this, I’m sure they won’t do any differently for him given the supporting docs I have for the broken appliance. But I’m still going to get a nasty review.

I have his message upon departure saying...

“Your place is perfect and the care and respect you have for it actually quite inspirational.

How demoralizing. What kind of review do I leave him then? I have morals. I can’t lie and say he was a bad guest but the apocalyptic rage, name calling and extortion over the damaged appliance he borrowed made me really sick to my stomach. 

The Johnsons

@James2566  Airbnb won't prevent a guest from leaving a review, but when he does, if it's a bad review, that's when you insist they remove it. You now have a record that the extortion threat was reported. So hang in there and see what kind of review he leaves and then deal with it.

And you absolutely should leave an honest review of this guest's behavior. I don't know what you mean by "I can't lie and say he was a bad guest". Of course he's a bad guest. Do you think good guests fly into rages and try to extort hosts?

If he leaves the house clean, you can mention the positives, but his abusive behavior needs to be made known.

If you aren't sure how to word it, you can post a draft review in the Host Circle (not Hosting) section of this forum, which only hosts have access to, and other hosts can give you some advice. 

But there's no need to rush to leave a review, you have 14 days, so chill for a few days until you can write it without emotion.

James2566
Level 9
Holetown, Barbados

AirBnb sent another message saying they’ll read his review when he posts it and at that time they’ll review all the information and make a decision of whether or not to remove it.

I hadn’t read the other messages from the guest because I feel he was in a rage and he’s already said he was contacting AirBnb and his inside connections there. I’m waiting for the men in black to show up at my door. You would think I killed his dog or something. I glanced something like “such a charlatan” so I had to look that up (a fraud, I think). I’ll archive his messages without reading at this point and keep my conversation with AirBnb, if they reach out. 

Takes some real thick skin to do this full time.

The Johnsons
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@James2566  you know how it goes... you send him a payment request with all the evidence, he declines, you involve Airbnb and you will see.  Chances are you will get your 150$. With the review, you will deal if and when he leaves one. IF he doesn't review you, you can wait until the last moment of the 14th day to review him. I am not sure at what hour exactly is the deadline but maybe someone knows.