Desktop | New messaging field is unhandy

Answered!
Chris12425
Level 2
Gaeta, Italy

Desktop | New messaging field is unhandy

Hi everybody,

Sorry to open a topic about a minor detail in these tough times.

Since 1-2 weeks when using Airbnb on my desktop I have a new layout while messagging with a guests. This layout reduces the field for answering to one single line, making it impossibile to read previous lines when typing. I got back to writing my answer in Gmail, and then copy-paste it in Airbnb.

I'm pretty sure this can't be what Airbnb meant to present to desktop users, and it's probably possibile to get back to the full field version somehow, but I can't figure it out.

Does anyone recognize this experience and has found a solution?

Thank you!

Chris

1 Best Answer
Yih-Huan0
Level 2
Jelgava, Latvia

You can scroll the chat window

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 19.03.31.png

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Chris12425
Level 2
Gaeta, Italy

I've added a photo to be more clear.

Sorry to spam this, but I can't imagine this is the desktop solution Airbnb is offering and/or nobody else has problems with it.

2020-04-20 Airbnb im.png

Yih-Huan0
Level 2
Jelgava, Latvia

You can scroll the chat window

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 19.03.31.png

Chris12425
Level 2
Gaeta, Italy

Thank you so much!

Chris, for what it's worth, this "upgrade" to AirBnB is simply *awful*.  I need to send real information to my guests and have real conversations.  If I wanted to send a text message to them, I'd send a text message.  What's with the anemic entry box?  It's impossible to use.  Terrible design, poor usability, inefficient, prone to errors.  Unfortunately, seems to be becoming the norm for web design these days.

Thanks, although I got used to it somehow, I agree. 

Mostly for longer messages I just prepare them in gmail and then copy-paste.

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

The point of this upgrade is that the page refreshes the messages automatically. With the old system I had to manually refresh the page to get new messages. So this actually makes it more like a today's messaging system.

Makes sense, however I still would like to send longer proposals and explanations. 

The automatic refreshing and box-size don't seem to be connected issues. 

@Chris12425 I agree with you on this but I'm not seeing it as a big deal to me. Long messages are stored in the saved messages list so I don't have to type every word and I'm pretty familiar with each message stored. When I have to type usually messages are no longer than 5 lines.