Did any other hosts receive an incorrect Form 1099?

Dennis264
Level 6
Juneau, AK

Did any other hosts receive an incorrect Form 1099?

This only applies to US hosts.

I got my Form 1099-MISC in the mail on Saturday, and when I checked it, the amount of earnings on the form was about 9.45% of my actual earnings listed on Air's online Earnings Summary report.

I called CS and the very nice woman in the offshore call center admitted she was located outside the US and had no idea what I was talking about but would have someone from San Francisco "reach out to me", which to me means that maybe someone will call in a few weeks if they feel like it.

I'm figuring that if my 1099 (which reports my earnings to the IRS) is wrong, there are probably other hosts who also got incorrect 1099s.

If you did, please post here.  Maybe, maybe someone for Air will notice it, but I don't have a lot of hope.

So was your host 1099-MISC correct or not?

21 Replies 21

Mine is also incorrect. 

We never filled out taxes for AirBnB. Never filled out a form or did taxes of any kind. Never was the option. We moved & don’t know if we were even sent a 1099 or W2’s. Didn’t get any at our new place. Trying to figure out how we do taxes for this! 

@Erin-and-Jay0 wrote:

We never filled out taxes for AirBnB. Never filled out a form or did taxes of any kind. Never was the option.

You wouldn't have been able to sign up as a host if you hadn't given Air your Social Security number or other tax ID number.

Air only has to issue 1099s to hosts that earn over $20,000/yr.  You can get your income info by going to your host account and looking at the tax info under "Payouts".  There is an earning summary you can use when preparing taxes.

Just as a FYI , I just found out the 1099 Misc. is for the GE and Transient Taxes that they give me to pay my State ( HI) since they are not directly sent to the State ( poor decision on Hawaii's part).    I hope that helps Dennis. 

Well, that's what the email I just received said.  I had less than 200 stays but over $20K, and I think that their reporting the taxes passed through on the 1099-MISC is incorrect, and that they should report the entire amount on a 1099-K instead of just the taxes on a 1099-MISC.  I wrote back and asked them to quote the IRS rule that they are using.

Actually, it was a great decision to pass local taxes back to us, since the way Air reports sales and room tax collections for a month in one lump sum without identifying hosts is not acceptable to many local jurisdictions, including my city and probably your state.  The city requires ME, not AirBnB, to report taxable sales so it works great for me, and I don't have to worry about Air sending the wrong amount or not calculating it incorrectly.  The best thing about the pass-through is that I no longer have to deal with collecting the tax separately since Air harps to guests about not paying outside the platform, and it either annoyed guests or made them suspicious.  No suspicion when it's on the amount when they pay for their bookings.

CS replied again with a citation of the IRS rule they use, so I guess they are right.  The passthrough is not income, so I don't know why they send it, but oh well.  I've got the numbers from both my spreadsheet records and from the earnings report, and they match.

Time to go buy Turbo Tax.

Would you post the IRS rule they cited? I also received a 1099-MISC form with the pass through tax reported in Box 1 which is for rents received. It doesn’t make sense to me. Thanks!

@Dennis264 @Erin-and-Jay0 

($20K/year and at least 200 stays)

@Dennis264  Not true. Airbnb never asked for any of that info when I signed up as a host. Maybe only American hosts are asked for that tax info?

Well, of course.    I didn't realize you were in Mexico.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA
Dayana48
Level 2
Lawndale, CA

Hi Dennis , yeah I got my tax form and it states I made 9k more than what is in the app . I’ve had no luck with them helping me understand why the additional $9k , when I go to the app example : it says I made 3864 for March in the tax form it says I made $1000 more , is that what happened to you ? 

Douglas19
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Mine is WAY off too.   Have been trying for weeks to get it addressed.   They just pass me from one help desk team to another who say they'll research and get back to me....which never happens.   

Doug G

any luck with this? My issue, below, still not resolved either as of 3/2021:

I received a 1099k even though my staywere only 20!! Since the irs now as of March 2021 already has that info—even though Airbnb made the mistake— I guess they’ve just screwed me? They will not respond to repeated requests to the legal dept