Difficult Host - Please Advise

Penny31
Level 5
United Kingdom

Difficult Host - Please Advise

Hi everyone.

I was hoping to get this resolved on my own, but there's no accounting for other people's behaviours, so I'm out of ideas at this point. (also, I had posted this already but now my entire post has disappeared, so trying again.)

I reserved a long-term rental in the north-east U.S. (for nearly 2 months) so that I could enjoy the beach city, but also to explore that entire east coast border. When I communicated with the host initially via BnB, I was very clear about what I do, what I'm looking for, and that I work as a freelance writer in need of good internet connection.

Furthermore, the host has a second room on the same level as the one I was enquiring about, and she said she barely ever gets any guests there and, if ever, they're short term. She also offered to put a lock on my bedroom door when I enquired about privacy with another guest on the same level, and all seemed well.

Anyway, since I've arrived, there were several issues off the bat. Firstly, she hadn't put the lock on the door, saying that no one else was there, so I should be fine. That later changed when she booked a family of 3 in the other room for nearly the same duration as my stay, so I had to remind her of the need for a lock, which made me feel awkward...like, asking for extra things, when in fact it was part of our initial agreement that she didn't uphold.

Later one, I found out the internet on my level doesn't work - it keeps disconnecting 5-6x/hour. I brought this to her attention and she seems very irritated by me because of it, except...I had said internet was a NEED for my stay? She says the internet is fine on her level - she lives downstairs - and the router/modem is there, too. She said she'd never tested the internet in my particular room, yet I'm getting the brunt of her irritation with regards to the issue. I even thought I'd go to local cafe's etc to get my work done, but I hurt my back really badly last week and have been barely able to move from bed to toilet...back to bed. So a couple of weeks have passed, and now she has her own devices (4, one of them constantly streaming movies), and 3 other guests with their multiple devices, plus me...and I get nothing. Literally, speeds of 0.2, if that. 

When I asked her again to please look into this, she told me she thinks it's best that I find another place to stay, because clearly I'm not happy at her home. I mean, is this how one resolves issues?

I have reached out to BnB and they have said they will try to mediate for me, however, my experience has been that the host (esp someone like my current one, who is not very hospitable) will take offense to being contacted by the company and will take it out on the guest: namely, to ask the guest to leave, and there's nothing BnB will do about it.

So here I am, in a foreign state, very far from anyone I know, in a state of excruciating pain/agony with my back injury, and I'm not sure what to do?

Unforunately, the host has been very inconsistent throughout my stay with her comments. She'll say things like, oh I can't hear a thing from upstairs (I'm extremely quiet, I even tip toe on the wood floors), and when I approached about the internet she suddenly said she'd rather not have anyone in the room above her (mine) anyway, because I keep her up at night. Except...I'm in bed, with a back ache, or use the toilet. Even when my back wasn't hurt, I was either sitting at a desk working, or in the shower, or in bed. And she had said, "Don't worry, I hear NOTHING from you, just relax".

I feel like she's trying to make a case for noise nuissance with me and I'm not sure how to handle it, given my current health injury and well..just, there's nowhere else to move.

I want to add, there has been other issues with the listing, such as cleanliness, which I never mentioned to the host and spent my entire first Sunday cleaning here ALL day. But that's besides the point...and oh, look, there goes the internet disconnecting again for the 10th time, so I can't post this for a while.

Any helpful suggestions?

18 Replies 18
Jayesh0
Level 10
Urangan, Australia

@Penny31

If I was told the internet would be adequate for my work purposes and could not go more than 15 minutes without it dropping out, I would be annoyed too.  When we have guests say there is a problem with the wifi, we reboot then go and buy a new modem as a first step.  

Recently we had service issues with the provider for 5 days but they did not acknowledge that the problem was on their end.  We had a technician out twice during that time and finally received an email saying that service had been reinstated.  At the very least we would keep trying until proper service was restored and we certainly would not promise adequate internet if we could not provide it particularly with a special request!

In your case, do you have an unlocked mobile phone?  Do you have a local sim card?  You could turn your phone into a hot spot and use your computer that way if you have a good data package.  Often time, here anyway, you can order more minutes or data over the phone.  Perhaps you could try that.  

We were lucky we did not have guests who were dependant on the wifi or we would have sorted out something for them - even a voucher for a coffee shop so that they could go out and access what they had to.  In your case, we would refund enough for you to get data through your phone.  I am suprised that other hosts feel it is acceptable to assure a guest they will have good wifi for a 2 month stay - to top it off - and then expect no complaint when service is abysmal and no effort is made to rectify the situation!  This is made 10 times worse by you being housebound.

I would never tell a guest that neighbouring guests would be short term unless I had a cap on the nights they could book and knew for sure it would be short term.  Add in the fact that there is no lock on the door with a roll of the dice on who is next door I do not blame you for feeling uncomfortable.  If you read this forum you will wise up pretty quick that the trust has long gone.  I feel this host misrepresented their property to you in order to secure the booking.

Has the host even asked you if you want a gel pack for your back or the names of some chiropractors in the area?  Good grief.  We had guests extend because their child got sick.  A decent host would ask it there was anything they needed or something they could do for them.  If you are ever out our way you can come and stay with us.  We are not in the middle of a big city but we have great wifi anyway!

All the best to you Penny.  Get a gel pack for your back and do some stretches in the morning and throughout the day.  Don't stay in the same position for too long.  As soon as you can get about, go out for some short walks.  Hope you get this sorted out.  I am wishing you well, Lisa  

Seriously? I am renting an apartment adjacent to my home to guests. I am not a nurse maid. There is a first aid kit in the apartment and beyond that I've done my duty as a host. If a guest falls ill while staying at my apartment they do not be one my responsibility. 

**they do not BECOME my responsibility**

Sorry, couldn't edit 

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Are you looking for sympathy? Why post this again?