Difficult booking, early checkin

Difficult booking, early checkin

Hi everyone, I’m fairly new to hosting so I’m still working out the finer points and I’m hoping someone can give me some advice with a gentleman who is trying to book with us at the moment. All his previous reviews from other hosts are fabulous so I’m sure he’s not all bad. He originally contacted wanting to make an 8 day booking, he’s now advised he will split the booking, stay for 3 days leave for a couple then book for one night which is fine with me but...he requested early checkin which will be approx 6am ( more like 5:30am as our airport is very quiet, quick to get out of and we’re five mins from the airport and his flight arrives at 5am) any way after several changes we’ve advised him he would need to book the additional night for such an early checkin. He’s now come back to say he’s happy to just drop off his bags. I’m really not sure how to proceed as it does mean I will need to be up at 5:30 to take his bags. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated! 

20 Replies 20

@Kristi96     Isn't there a locker at the airport where he can leave his stuff until check-in time,  it being only five minutes away.

Yeah there are lockers at the airport but I think he’s just trying to get out of paying anything, hence why he hasn’t booked for the previous day as he wanted to check in at 6am but we told him he’d have to pay the additional day as it was 6 hours prior to our normal check in so now he’s just told us he’ll just drop his bags off. 

@Kristi96    Whatever game he is playing I would just tell him it's not possible to drop-off his bags, and that the Airport has lockers and you'll see hm at check-in time.

@Kristi96  This is not a guest I would recommend hosting. If he's so inconsiderate that he thinks it's ok to make you get up at 5:30 AM just so he doesn't have to use an airport locker, and he's not even willing to pay extra for the privilege, imagine what he'll be like when he arrives! This degree of disrespect is likely to also be reflected in his treatment of your home, and ultimately in his review.

This is the point at which I'd say, "unfortunately what I'm able to offer is not the best fit for your needs," and keep the calendar open for a better option.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kristi96 

Stick to your nomal check-in time, this guest is taking advantage of you. 6 am is an absurd time to check-in or even drop luggage, without paying extra for this service.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

We are on site, but I'm not much of a morning person, so I allow drop off of luggage only from 10am, 99% of our guests have respected that, only one set showed up at 8am.

If someone told me they were 'dropping off' their bags at 5am, I'd very politely say there will be no one available to let you into the property at that time, but we can accommodate your bag drop off at XX.  

I agree that this is probably not a person who you want to host.  He thinks he's rented a cheap hotel and expect hotel services.  

Also, not to be sexist, but a single male on a 3 day trip seems unlikely to be carrying such a huge amount of luggage that he can't carry it around with him for a handful of hours.