Difficult, demanding and non-compliant guest

Larissa96
Level 2
San Mateo, CA

Difficult, demanding and non-compliant guest

Hello fellow hosts,

I am asking for your collective advice here on how to approach the following situation. I have had wonderful guests, but this latest guest has really challenged my ability to give her the benefit of the doubt.  I have been extremely accommodating, but I feel her demands are borderline abusive towards me as an Airbnb host renting my second home. I'm not a big business.  I recognize that I may need to make some adjustments, but this is really testing the limits of my customer service abilities.

1) After booking, she asked several questions of which I was happy to answer.  When I stated the number of chaise lounges I offered on the proper (which was visible in the listing), I received my first strongly worded response that a home of my size she would "expect more lounging chairs considering this is a desert house." I went ahead and secured 4 additional chairs that I assembled myself ahead of her stay.  She mentioned she would have elderly family members staying with her, so I naturally felt bad and wanted to ensure they had a good experience especially it being COVID. [So far, there has been no evidence of 'elderly' staying at the house given Ring exterior camera footage to date.]

2) When she checks in, I get the following message: "Why am I only finding 3 bedrooms? 2 upstairs and the en-suite downstairs. Where’s the 4th?"  The tone of this message was a red flag to me, as in somehow my listing misrepresented the house (it does not).  She did correct herself later with "Nevermind found it, sorry!"

3) House rules being broken within the first weekend of her month-long stay.  Ring security shows a party of 8-10 people at the house being loud and smoking.  I send the following message to document it immediately "Hi [guest]- I hope you are enjoying your stay. Please ensure your guests do not smoke on the property and respect noise levels in the neighborhood. Thank you." I did not report her and hoped that this would signal a warning.

4) After these same guests, the hot tub was not properly secured and left open all night to which I sent the following message: "If you could please, close the cover of the hot tub when not in use. It makes heating the hot tub more difficult and dust from desert winds can easily get in. There is a latch that locks in that can help prevent the wind from opening it up. Thank you."  I provide clear instructions in the house binder, and ask guests to read it upon check-in. She complied with this request.

5) A/C at the home:  The home is in the desert (summer has multiple >100 F days). We have a schedule set for the thermostat appropriate for desert weather.  In all transparency, we set the schedule and can and will accommodate for comfort. We do have it locked as past guests have abused the temperature settings, and our AC broke last summer.  It was a very unpleasant several days for that guest at that time, but they were extremely understanding.  After that, we set controls on the thermostat. Fast-forward to this guest, she immediately asks for the code to unlock it.  Instead, we agreed to set the temperature down two degrees (from 76 to 74). 

6) Outdoor spa: On occasion it needs a reset.  We have troubleshooting instructions in our home binder and this largely hasn't been an issue with any other guest. Now this guest comes and claims it was tripping up constantly unable to heat the water.  I also got the confident message from her that "It’s definitely worth having someone look at it, I’ve tried it all. I’m in the electrical world."  My spa service person came by, looked at it and said it was working fine but did recommend a new panel that could help.  So that's what we did, ordered a new panel and repaired it.  My spa service person also learned she was trying to fix it from the breaker, which he reassured her was not the issue.  

7) Pool & Garden Maintenance:  I have a set of services scheduled that come regularly to the house.  This guest asked us to change the schedule around, even asking to cancel gardening service while they were there. We accommodated that too.  However, now I really started to feel like this was getting to be a bit too much in terms of demands.  This is ultimately my home to take care of.

😎 Buying the house: The most interesting request was to ask to buy the house.  I'm flattered, but no thank you.

9) AC again:  This time, holding at 74F in the desert I did push back on another request to lower it further.  I reiterated that this was most efficient for the desert climate to keep the AC running smoothly, to leverage fans, close blinds & curtains.  I asked if she would be willing to pay for a lower temperature to help offset the costs, and the response I got was the following: "I’m not sure what it means to run efficiently. I have a house and it can go fairly low.", "I’m pretty sure I’m in a long term rental also. This isn’t a weekend hangout." (Note: she is renting for 32 days, this not a long term rental.) Additionally, I got "I don’t understand how this is legal even", and "It’s a basic necessity for the desert", and the kicker, "You are good with inhumane practices and it’s well noted."  Is 74F in the desert considered inhumane?

There was more, but I've chosen not to list it here as I would normally consider them innocuous requests.  

I would love perspectives from the community here on:

1) What's your take on the situation?  How would you feel?

2) Is there anything that can be done about this guest while they are still on the reservation considering they broke house rules?

3) I sense she will provide a poor review, despite all of the accommodations I have been making.  What would you do?

Thank you to all you wonderful hosts for your thoughts in advance!

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Larissa96  When this guest asked about the chaise lounges after booking, and you ran out and bought more, that was where you first went wrong. She showed herself to be demanding from the outset and you should have called Airbnb to say you are uncomfortable with the booking and ask that it be cancelled. Or else say " I have X number of chaises. If that is a deal breaker for you, you can cancel this reservation and look for a place that meets your needs".

Never try to accommodate guest demands or their sense of entitlement. Those types of people appreciate nothing and the first time you give in to their demands, they see you as a pushover and will keep making demands.

You need to practice saying no. "No, that isn't something we provide, as you can see from the listing". "No, we don't provide a washer, there is a laundromat 2 blocks away".

There is nothing wrong with going out of your way a little for a nice, polite guest who shows appreciation, but never do it for these types of guests. You won't avoid a bad review from trying to placate these types- they always leave bad reviews. So you can get a bad review and also feel like a doormat who allowed herself to be taken advantage of, or you can just get a bad review. I'd choose the latter.

If it were me, I would be telling this guest that there are far too many demands from her ( you could say that it doesn't seem that she is happy with things at your place, and that it would be best if she looked for another place). I'd want her out and make sure that happened.

If that requires contacting Airbnb to say she is ignoring house rules, lied to you about elderly people staying, had a noisy gathering which disturbed the neighbors, including smoking in your non-smoking home, and making constant demands and you want to shorten the reservation, so be it.

And don't rent for that long in the future. Not only does Airbnb provide little in the way of support for hosts, that's too long to get stuck with a bad guest.

Bottom line, do not allow guests to abuse you, your home, or your hospitality.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Larissa96 I would nip this whole situation in the bud by saying something like:

Sorry that you're not happy with some aspects of your stay. We have been happy to fulfill your requests wherever possible. However, if you're feeling like the property does not meet your needs, we would be fine with you ending your stay early. We could adjust the length of your stay so that it ends tomorrow. Please do let me know. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your stay. 

It seems that this guest is pushing you to see what they can get away with, and if you put your foot down they may respect you more and stop with the demanding  behaviour. They are boundary testers. 

I also find the length of the reservation coupled with the behaviour to be a big red flag. In many juristictions guests become tenants after a month and you would need to go through a formal eviction process if they won't leave. If you have all of these danger signals, I would seriously consider getting them out early before you find out just how bad they can be. 

Whatever you choose to do, please don't do anything else over and above what's provided in your listing to these ungrateful people. They have already shown you they have zero appreciation for anything. Save it for the good guests. 

So true!  I just had a similar situation with very mean, unreasonable guests. Since the first minute they checked in, they started challenging, accusing and arguing. 

Can someone please tell me how I can post a new thread? 

I wish to ask for advice too. Thanks 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Rebecca1945,I'm leaving the link here where you can start a new conversation

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/forums/postpage/choose-node/true?default=welcome-guests

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Thank you Paula! I just posted a new post. 

Hi Paula,

One more question, how do I find the response or reply from the community on my post?  Do I receive an email notification?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Rebecca1945,

Absolutely! You'll be notified whenever someone replies to your post. Just to make things easier for you, I'm leaving the link to your post here so you can access it easily: 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Support-with-your-bookings/How-to-deal-with-a-nasty-and-mean-gue...

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Larissa96  I would be concerned about the talk of 'inhumane' conditions and try to get her to cancel the stay.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello @Larissa96   I am a host in La Quinta as well.  I know you cannot book for less than 30 days unless you have a City license and I know there is a moratorium at issuing new licenses at this time.  You have such a beautiful home and your first guests appreciated all that you provided.  I imagine your home is much in demand, so the advice to nip in the bud this entitled guest's requests is on point.  Currently the demand in this area is pretty high, partyly due to the post isolation travel closer to home pattern.  

Thank you Linda.  It's good to hear from fellow host in the area. 🙂