Dirty flat

Stefano1072
Level 2
Bologna, Italy

Dirty flat

Hi,

I have been using the platform for several years and have just had a very negative experience with a host: the flat I chose was in extremely
precarious hygienic conditions, I was even afraid to catch some infection during my stay.

I noticed that most flats were unavailable by the time I got into the apartment so decided to bear with it -which meant taking showers at an acquaintance's house- and report it afterwards.
I did it and Airbnb provided no concrete solution to the issue when the host refused to refund part of the cost I had paid, despite having provided substantial evidence of my complaint.
Airbnb now considers the case settled! Let me add that this is not how I thought Airbnb would deal with a complaint from a long-standing customer.

Stefano
12 Replies 12
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Difficult to comment as you haven't actually said in what the listing was not as described.

What solution were you expecting exactly when you didn't follow Airbnb's T&C and contact the host to see if they could resolve and if not ask Airbnb to help you find alternative accommodation.

What you can't do is not report any issues, stay for the duration and then complain after your stay.

I never stated that the flat did not resemble the pics, the issue was that it had probably not been cleaned in months.

The bathroom looked appalling and black spots could be seen all over the floor and on the shower base.  The bedsheets were equally dirty and traces of mold could be seen on the bedroom wall.

I did provide several very detailed pics to back my claim, but I am afraid the host won't face any consequence for it. This is plain wrong.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stefano1072 If you continue with your stay then you cannot expect a refund. It would be akin to eating all of a meal in a restaurant then demanding it for free because it was too cold. You also need to give the host a chance to correct any issues with the accommodation before you have any chance of succeeding in a claim.

I did not ask for full refund but part of it.

I am now wondering, regardless of my claim, whether the host will have to provide Airbnb with some form of explanation for the state of the flat. Apparently not as the platform considers the case settled.

It is interesting to see that this is seen as reasonable M.O.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stefano1072 No one said it was reasonable for the host to provide sub standard accommodation. What is equally unreasonable is for a guest not to try to get the problem fixed and then request a refund.

Stefano1072
Level 2
Bologna, Italy

@Mike-And-Jane0  you should read again the last part of my message where I no longer referred to my refund but to Airbnb not taking any measure to dive deep into the issue.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stefano1072 Ah well they won't do that I am afraid as they have far too many listings to deal with and one complaint may not be fair on the host. If you left an honest review for the host they will, if others do the same, soon find their listing suspended/removed.

Stefano1072
Level 2
Bologna, Italy

Again, questionable M.O. for a platform as huge as Airbnb. 🤷‍♂️

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

@Stefano1072 

Once you stay at a place despite any issues basically signifies to Airbnb your acceptance of the issues. If this should happen again, once arriving, IMMEDIATELY send a note to the host via the Airbnb app (include pictures!) so there is a record of it of all the issues. Then ask Airbnb to find you suitable arrangements to move. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Mikki0,

A guest first needs to give the host an opportunity to correct an issue, and then can ask for Airbnb's assistance if it's not rectified in a timely fashion.  A timeframe for resolution should depend upon the time of the notification.  As you've said, it's important to notify the host immediately (e.g.,  the reporting of uncleanliness at 9 p.m. may not be addressed until the next morning).  However, I've seen posts where the guest checked in and reported issues to the host, but decided to go out to eat/sightsee instead of waiting for the host to come over, and didn't give the host permission to enter while they were out.  Then they want a refund after their stay is finished.

@Stefano1072 ,

You should not be surprised about the outcome since you are a long-standing Airbnb member.   You are aware that the Help Center pages are written in several languages, and there is a page that describes how to report an issue:  https://www.airbnb.it/help/article/248/if-something-goes-wrong-during-your-stay.  If you had followed the process, and first notified the host, you would have had up to 72 hours after that notification to involve Airbnb if you and the host failed to reach an agreement about the resolution.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I am adding a link to the American English version of the new Rebooking and Refund policy: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2868/rebooking-and-refund-policy.  Please note that Airbnb always publishes the same numbered article in multiple languages, and only changes the domain extension (.com, co.uk, .fr, .de, etc.).

Here is an excerpt from the "Other things to be aware of" section:

"Before submitting a claim, whenever feasible, the guest must notify the Host and try to resolve the Travel Issue directly with their Host. In connection with resolving the issue, guests can request refunds directly from Hosts using the resolution center."