Discount for Bringing linens

Earl7
Level 2
New York, NY

Discount for Bringing linens

Hi fellow hosts, 

I just had a guest ask for a discount because under local Covid restrictions guests need to bring their own linens.  I’ve never had a guest make this request since the pandemic began. She did not propose an amount but left it in my court.  What are your suggestions? Thx.  

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Earl7 

I host frequently students, which stay mostly a few weeks or months. They sometimes ask for discount if bringing their own (bed)linens. I always grant it with 5% discount , as less work for me and no hassle with stains etc.. But for short stay (up to 2 weeks) i do not provide the option.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Is she also bringing her own blankets, duvet, pillow protectors and mattress pad, or are you going to have to wash those when she checks out? Just figure out how much it would cost you to wash what she is bringing for the length of time she is staying and offer a discount accordingly. If you figure it's $5 for the time and hot water and soap, then offer a $5 discount. (I suspect she's angling for more, though).

But as Emiel says, you don't have to offer any discount if you don't want to. If her booking isn't already confirmed, and you are still in the negotiating stage, keep mind that guests who start out by asking for discounts are red flags. On the other hand, if she is staying long term, rather than a few nights, it will save you time and money to not have to offer clean linens every week.

If you don't want to discount, you could say something like" Some guests go through 3 rolls of toilet paper in a week, others only one, some guests drink up 8 cups of coffee a day and others don't drink coffee at all. Some guests use a lot of towels in a week, others only one. I can't really discount based on what a guest may or may not use, that would be a logistical nightmare."

@Earl7

Agree with @Sarah977 

Also @Earl7  if you do decide to discount, I would recommend the discount NOT be provided upfront, but rather say that cost related to linens is X and therefore you'd be willing to consider a refund of X sum after check out, on condition that the guest does bring all linens, plus there was no damage to your home, check out instructions were followed and hosting costs (related to linens) actually did decrease.

You should confirm with the guest what *linens* the guest plans to bring and therefore you (host) will be providing only up to what. My understanding of "guest bringing all linens" would be that the host only needs to provide the mattress + protective cover and the guest will bring everything else they need to sleep (blanket, pillow and all sheets) plus all towels. If it were me, I'd make a point of removing throws and cushions - anything that can be used as an alternative, and clarify this point with the guest before even thinking about a discount. If they are just talking about sheets/covers, and you have to provide all other bedding and towels, then IMO I don't think it's significant enough for a discount. 

@Earl7  I would never extend a discount by request, especially before a stay has even begun. My answer would be that the current price already reflects the adjustments made to adhere to the current regulations.

You really have no way to know until the stay is over whether the guests genuinely brought suitable linens or just slept directly on bare pillows or used an uncovered duvet, and you may well still have lots of stains to deal with. Not supplying linens doesn't necessarily mean less cleaning - especially if you're actually adhering to Airbnb's elaborate protocol.