Discrimination and poor review due to racist guest

Peter302
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Discrimination and poor review due to racist guest

A friend who hosts a level of his home recently experienced racism/discrimination. The guests were ok for the most part and my friend and they were getting along, chatting and evertyhing. On one of the last days, one guest visiting from Britain asked him where he was from. When he said Poland, the guest changed his entire demeanor. The following days were unplesant but nothing was off. Then the airbnb review... it is horrific. They complained about everything and made up lies about how bad it was. NO other guest left poor reviews. Anyway, what's clear to me is that this guest left a negative review on airbnb because my friend is from Poland (regardless of the fact that he's lived most of his life in Canada)... this is completely unfair and his review is tarnished as a result of it. Airbnb wont take it down. What do you do in this case? Quit airbnb? Get a lawyer? Friend doesn't want to post this himself because he's afraid of being further discriminated.

16 Replies 16

When they talk about discrimination, they talk about race, not gender. Now why is that? 

I have similar feeling with Airbnb lately. Just few months ago when I started hosting I became super host in two months but because of few prejudice people with their lies my rating started taking free fall. I started getting too many people coming with several people while booked for only one late at night. At first I believed their made up stories and accommodated them since I had enough room but then soon I learned it’s a copy cat event from local people to take advantage of me. Tried getting Airbnb to help us but in vain. Now I am very choosy with guests and don’t even accept if not comfortable. Yes it’s less income but I have peace of mind and I sleep thru night not worrying. In my opinion Airbnb will loose many great hosts if they continue ignoring their issues.