Discrimination

Enrique872
Level 2
Chestermere, Canada

Discrimination

I don't know how to contact someone at Air BnB......So I'm using this media to report a discrimination problem with a Host called **.

I should mention that this person is with a group called "Trp&Homes" and he is located in**.

There is a host called ** that is discriminating against me and he does not want to rent me one of his units. I met him on dec 3rd 2019, at that time he rented me a unit that according to his AirBnB post was fabulous with a great location and incredibly clean. That was so far away from the truth, ** has never seen that place he was renting.  It was disgusting...! There was garbage in the kitchen area, dirty dishes, rotten meat in the fridge, the whole place stunk, the walls were filthy, the sofas as well,  you couldn't even seat on because the have crap on it, the ceiling was falling down probably water damage.....and because we got upset during that time, he now, October 2021,  refuses to rent me a different unit for me and my wife.. I call that discrimination...!!

If anyone know how to reach Air BnB please let me know..! Thanks...!!

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

8 Replies 8

I didn't know this same guy had this new unit up for rent, only until he answered my questions in regards to this new unit all of the conversations I dad with this guy in 2019 popped up....I had completely forgotten  about that bad experience.......This kind of people mislead travellers that don't know the area and that is wrong. False advertisement is always wrong. That is the point..!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

The unit was unlivable the last time you rented from him, and you want to rent from him again? 

Don't do it, @Enrique872 ! Find a better host! It will be easy. Even the worst hosts have ceilings.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Enrique872  Why on earth would you want to rent again from someone who you had a horrible experience with in the past? **

It isn't discrimination for a host to refuse to accept a booking from someone. Hosts refuse bookings all the time from guests who were problematic in past stays, whether with the same host, or as evidenced in their reviews, who left the place a mess last time, who were rude, etc. Or who they simply didn't like dealing with.  Guests don't have some legal "right" to book an Airbnb.

A booking being declined doesn't count as discrimination, unless the host is declining because of your race, sexual orientation, nationality, etc.

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

I have no idea who you are ...and you shouldn't label somebody before knowing the truth. and no, I'm not a masochist, I didn't know this same guy had this new unit up for rent, only until he answered my questions in regards to this new unit all of the conversations I had with this guy in 2019 popped up....I had completely forgotten  about that bad experience.......This kind of people mislead travelers that don't know the area and that is wrong. False advertisement is always wrong. That is the point..!

He didn't even know the place he was advertising, Wonderful suite, great view spotless.....all that was a lie.....it was so disgusting that he then took us to another place and this was around 9pm at night....the second place was better but I had to clean it myself before we settled in...

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Enrique872 @Sarah977 @Lawrene0 @William810 

Of course it’s discrimination. It’s just not unlawful discrimination.

Discrimination:

• noun The act of distinguishing; the act of observing, making, or marking a difference; distinction: as, the discrimination between right and wrong.
  •  
  • noun Specifically The power of distinguishing or discriminating; discriminative judgment; penetration: as, a man of discrimination
  • noun The state of being discriminated, distinguished, or set apart.
  • noun That which serves to discriminate; a mark of distinction.
  • noun Specifically An invidious distinction.
  • noun Synonyms Discernment, clearness, acuteness, acumen, nicety, insight. See difference and discernment.

We often discriminate against people who have a history of bad reviews, and they can discriminate against us. Airbnb’s review system encourages it.

I certainly would discriminate against a guest who had found my listing unacceptable in the past and I would be HIGHLY suspicious of their motives for trying to come back.

I understand what you are saying but this person lie about the unit, his post indicated that the place was fabulous, spotless, great view and none of those things were true. The guy didn't even know the unit....and no, I had have some great experience with other host in San Jose del Cabo as well as a couple of places in South America. The point here is that this is not right, this guy lie and try to lie about me simply because I complained about how filthy that apartment was. Pleas read the following message I sent to someone else in this page.....

I didn't know this same guy had this new unit up for rent, only until he answered my questions in regards to this new unit all of the conversations I had with this guy in 2019 popped up....I had completely forgotten  about that bad experience.......This kind of people mislead travelers that don't know the area and that is wrong. False advertisement is always wrong. That is the point..!

He didn't even know the place he was advertising, Wonderful suite, great view spotless.....all that was a lie.....it was so disgusting that he then took us to another place and this was around 9pm at night....the second place was better but I had to clean it myself before we settled in...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Enrique872  "This kind of people mislead travellers that don't know the area and that is wrong. False advertisement is always wrong. That is the point..!"

That didn't appear to be the point of your post here at all. Your post title and content is complaining about being discriminated against by having the host decline your booking.

Now you are changing the story to be a complaint about a host you feel scammed you 3 years ago. I assume you reported his behavior at the time, and left an honest review of your bad experience. 

That's water under the bridge now.

Can someone please help me figure out what to do. I don’t know how to post a conversation so i have to reply to one. I’ve been helping my boyfriend furnish his airbnb for the past month. Before the listing even went live airbnb listed the listing as fraudulent, but we literally have proof it’s not fraudulent. At this point I feel like it was racially motivated after having to send pictures of himself and he’s a dark black man.