Do Airbnb guests get tenant's right after 30-day stay (even if I am the tenant/singed the lease)?

Weiwei6
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

Do Airbnb guests get tenant's right after 30-day stay (even if I am the tenant/singed the lease)?

Do Airbnb guests automatically get tenant's right after 30 days stay (even if I signed the lease, furnished the place, paying utilities)?

I am the original tenant who signed a 12-mon lease for a condo with the owner - due to financial reasons, I subleased it on Airbnb in March as an entire unit. Then a woman booked 1 month then offered to pay me in private. Then she didn't pay in full, decided to claim tenant's rights, changed the deadbolt lock, wanting to squat till October (she says that law allows non-payment to be exempted through September, she threatens to give me criminal charge if I claim/execute my tenant's right)

Can anybody tell me:
- who does the law identify as the tenant? Me or her??
-- If she is considered as a tenant, am I still entitled to enter/exist anytime as a tenant/roommate?
---If I no longer am I entitled to enter/exist, do I have to pay utilities? And can I still get my personal belongings back, at least, I want my furniture back?

In order to avoid delinquency back in March, I did the subleasing because I didn't want to lose my rental deposit (1 x monthly rental) paid to the owner. Now it seems I'm losing it either way.

3 Replies 3
Jennifer2550
Level 2
Mill Valley, CA

This sounds complicated.  Wish you well in the resolution.  Always some liability with any kind of rental.   

Matthieu155
Level 2
Badajoz, Spain

That sounds like a crazy situation. Are you allowed to sublet from your original lease? 

I guess you did a mistake by taking a private payment :-(. I assume there is no proof of her renting it out on airbnb?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Weiwei6 Tenants rights depend on the laws of the state you are renting in. I suggest you look this up urgently. Assuming sub letting is not allowed in your original lease you are going to need a good attorney to get out of the situation you have caused. I just pity the owner who will also no doubt get involved in this mess.