Do I need a license to rent only one room?

Dan521
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Do I need a license to rent only one room?

Hi all,

I know in Barcelona a license is required to rent out the whole apartment and that license is pretty hard to get. If I wanted to rent out only one room, in a two bed flat, would I need a license too?

3 Replies 3
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Dan

In The UK an air bnb  such as yourself renting out a single room is NOT a hotel or a Bed and Breakfast premises.

So far as I’m aware, there are no restrictions although various councils are talking about it , but not all are in agreement about what to do to stop the proliferation of short term rentals as it’s being seen as contributing to housing shortages for locals etc etc.

Another tip, as a prospective host please supply a photo of yourself in your profile as many travellers/ guests dont feel comfortable doing business with a red dot.......just an observation!

Alma0
Level 4
Barcelona, Spain

Hi Dan

So far it's OK to rent a room or two in your property, Barcelona government is working to give room-licenses but until that happens it's legal to rent. 

You can rent a room BUT 

1.- As long as it is your residence and you live there/are present while guests are there. 

we have to add that you need to be THE OWNER of the property and live and be in the " padron " 

some people are confused, if you are the tenant and you want to rent rooms in the apartment you             live in, you will need to ask for permission to your landlord otherwise you will be evicted, and lose                 the deposit of your apartment when the owner knows

2.-   As long as it's no more than 2 rooms in your house being rented out. 

--- YES

3.- That each rental is less than 28 days.

---- YES

4.- As long as it is not for more than 4 months in total out of 12 months.

--- this I have not hear it before around Barcelona city, I think this is for Madrid area.

Any other question, just write me.

Hi Alma, I have a quick question for you about a reservation issue I'm having if you would be so kind as to reply at your leisure. I've read the guidelines you described in your post regarding a couple of rooms in which the owner is present during the rental being exempt from needing a license.

Would there be any occasion where a property that sleeps 10 in four rooms and within which the host would not be staying while visitors are renting there (for typically weeks, not long term) be allowed to list itself as Exempt on Airbnb? I might have found myself in a situation with an unregistered property that fits that description and am wondering about the legality of the entire listing. The guidelines I have read are somewhat confusing, so I thought you might have more pertinent information as an actual resident.

Thanks in advance for your help.