Do I need to apply for a business license or permit to become a host in Vancouver, WA?

Alan26
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

Do I need to apply for a business license or permit to become a host in Vancouver, WA?

This is one of those questions where no one wants to give an exact answer for fear of misleading with huge consequences...  But ANY info would be nice since I'm totally unfamiliar with this part of AirBnB.  Should i be applying for a business license or permit here in Vancouver WA.  This is NOT for a whole house, just private room with host on site.  Do i need to consult Dept. of Revenue?

9 Replies 9
Patt0
Level 1
Wake Forest, NC

I can't answer your question, but I can share what I did for my city.  I checked with City Hall to ask what are the requirements for running a Bed and Breakfast.  It is four bedrooms.  So I am not classified as a B&B and don't need any special license.  I'm sure there is variability here so do check it out.

Thanks Patt.  Good idea to check with City Hall.  Taxes, permits...  fun, fun! 

Alan, I live in Vancouver as well. Did you find the answers to this? I am researching the same thing, currently.

Thank you,

Kathy

@Kathrine3  Hi Kathy - fellow Vanouver host here.  No, as far as I'm aware, there is no permit or registration requirements for operating in Vancouver or Clark County.  Airbnb currently collects and remits on our behalf the following taxes:

General Sales and Use Tax (Washington)

General Sales and Use Tax (Clark Cty)

Accommodations Tax (Clark Cty)

Local Sales and Use Tax (Public Transportation Benefit Area)

I wouldn't be surprised if additional registration and permit requirements make their way across the Columbia, though, as Portland has a lengthy process.  Let me know if you have other questions!

Hi Cynthia & Chris!

This is very helpful, thank you! I noticed this is dated 2017. Do you know if anything has changed and/or have any resources you recommend I look into?

Best,

Renee

Hi Cynthia and Chris. I heard that you are super superhost of Airbnb in Vancouver WA. If there is any question about Airbnb if you dont know there is nobody know. 

Please help me out. My question is if I want to be an Airbnb host just one of my room in the house, do I need to apply for a business license? Thanks for you help. 

I wanted to add some color to this response and bring it up to date, because I live in Camas and reached out to City Hall to ask this same question. They responded and said that short term Airbnb rentals are not permitted in Camas at all (not sure if this applies elsewhere in Clark County). They also mentioned that code enforcement is driven by complaints, so it's possible you can get away with it until a neighbor complains, and then they'll shut it down.

They also said the city code may change in the future, but that it's not on the docket at least for the next year.

Hope that helps! Definitely check with city hall first...

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Reach out to @Cynthia-and-Chris1.  If THEY don't know, then NOBODY knows.

They're from Vancouver and are SuperHosts so they've seen it all, done it all, heard it all.

Sandy690
Level 1
Vancouver, WA

Hi - I see this post is old and I’m interested in renting out my place. Whom did you ask to find out what was needed? Is whole house Airbnb permitted in Vancouver?