Do I need to apply for a business license to become a host in WA?

Luan0
Level 4
Seattle, WA

Do I need to apply for a business license to become a host in WA?

I just did my tax return yesterday at a local tax agency. When I told them about my AirBnB business, they said I should have applied for a business license to the DOR (department of revenue). 

Is that true? If you are a host in WA, did you apply one? 

Thank you.

9 Replies 9
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Luan0 I would advise you to post this question in the Vancouver Community.  Go to the menu at the upper left of this page and scroll down to cities.  You will find more people with your situation. 

Bonnie46
Level 1
Bozeman, MT

Do I need a busniess License to host , for the city of Manhattan, Montana for my Air BnB?

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

Yes, as a fellow Washingtonian, you do need a business license before you do business with Airbnb.  Go to the Department of Licensing website and you can get the information there.  You must apply and wait for the license to arrive.  When I started our Airbnb rental, I talked to DOL and they expressed no concerns with me listing shortly after submitting my business license application.  (They assumed it would take a short while to get customers.)  We also set up a Limited Liability Corporation to limit our personal liability when conducting a business.  Good Luck.

Anna845
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Hi Mr.Luan
I hope this note finds you doing well. I'm Anna who also a host in Seattle. I just read your post about the business license and paying the taxes in Seattle. I am new to Airbnb too and have not done with the taxes yet. Could you mind to share with me any experience about it, please? I really appreciate your help. Thank you so much !!

P/s: I am Vietnamese, Are you Vietnamese too?

Thanks,
Anna.

Bhanu1
Level 1
Lynnwood, WA

Yes, you do need a business licence for AirBnb in the State of Washington, and file taxes every quarter. AirBnb collect taxes from your guests and submit to the State so you won't have to worry about paying taxes at the end of each quarter.

Do you need a city business license as well?

And how do you file the taxes every quarter?

Rene85
Level 2
Odessa, TX

Do I need a busniess License to host , for the city of Odessa, Texas for my Air BnB?

Tulika2
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I have seattle business license. When I had obtained it I did not have any UBI from washington from last year or this year.  In the new filelocal website it is asking for UBI for registration which i don't have. From what i understand it is obtained from WA DOR.

Last year since my income was less than $12000 i did not apply license with WA DOR. This year I will go over it, so i am planning to apply for it.

Do I need to file anything with WA DOR since airbnb already collects all taxes?

Once I get the UBI from WA DOR , how do i associate it with my current seattle business license?

Any other license that we need to obtain?

http://bls.dor.wa.gov/faqlicense.aspx

Janice280
Level 1
Coarsegold, CA

Do I need a business license for an Air bnb in Madera County in California?